Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sputters on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputters on acceleration

I have an 06 700efi sportsman.I was out for a ride last night.After an hour or so I noticed the bike sputtering while accelerating.It sounded like a rev limiter or something.
I have no manual or service manual for this bike.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Ray

Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be as simple as a dirty air filter,but seems like the most problems we had on the early efi systems were the wiring on the the sensor connectors,particularly the T-bap sensor wiring chaffing or breaking internally,plus the connectors themselves could have the small wires pull out,not making good contact. Polaris sensor harness repair kit #2875542 addressed this problem,BUT the wires were the same thin gauge and would tend to do the same thing again. You can trace these wires from the T-bap sensor located on the throttle body air boot for any bare spots or even wires that may feel soft that could be broken internally. Better kits are available if you check Ebay plus look at the expert section "sticky thread" on efi problems.Replacement kits are mentioned there.Also check the crank sensor wiring and harness coming from the bottom right of the engine under the throttle body for any bare spots that may be touching the engine area around the starter. The wiring may or may not be the problem as it can also be a fuel filter problem(if filter hasn't ever been changed) or fuel pressure problem. Fuel pressure measurement on the fuel rail should hold 39 psi + or - 2 psi. You need to have a fuel pressure gauge for this. OPT

Old 07-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was hoping you were on!lol
Thanks for the tips. I will check all that out today.
I was reading about the t-bap problems earlier and didn't think that was the problem because I read nothing about sputtering.I think mine is still original too.
Til later thanks again.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

T-bap wiring shorts could cause the sputtering,back firing,erratic idle,etc. Not a bad idea also to check the throttle body intake manifold around the clamp for any splits that could be sucking air,plus check the exhaust manifold for any leaks. The 700 and 800's were bad about these two items also. Plus there was an exhaust manifold change on machines made after 10/17/05. Change was made for a reason,either better airflow or defects?. You can enter you vin # here to see when it was made. http://www.purepolaris.com/en-us/ATV...earch-VIN.aspx
OPT

Old 07-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think so. I cannot find or feel any broken,burnt or bared wires but I am pulling codes 41 and 45.
I am going to order that fix posted in the T-bap sticky.
Unless of course someone here on this forum is making them?

Old 07-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

41 and 45 are the usual codes that comes up from T-bap problems. Low input on barometric sensor(code 45) OPT