Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris shuts off while riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris shuts off while riding

2010 500 sportsman shuts off while riding after warmed, will restart did replace spark plug but still have same issue

Old 05-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's a carb model? Could be a problem in the resetting fuses or fuse block,plus there is a thermal circuit breaker usually strapped to the wiring harness that may have a bad connection or corroded. Can cause it to shut off and when cools down able to restart. If it's an efi 500 could be a short in sensor wiring or connectors at the throttle body or short in the crank sensor wiring or harness routed under the throttle body.Plus both models could have wiring shorts under the front panel close to the steering post as this where most of the stress,twisting and movement of the electrical harness is. OPT

Old 05-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris shutting off

OPT, thanks for getting back to our problem so quickly.
The Polaris I'm referring to is a 2010 Polaris Sportsman 500 ho.
The repair shop has ask me to make the bike shut off and tell them what I did so they can do the same in their shop. Well I can't get the Polaris to shut off at home, it only does it while I'm off in the country or at our local ATV park witch is an hour away.
This is what the Polaris does;
Runs great for the first forty to fifty minutes then just shots off. I turn the key and it fires right up and off I go. From that point on though it continues to shut off more frequently but starts fight back up.
This is a great bike and I don't mind having it serviced but I'm worried that if the service department can't get the Polaris 500 Spoetsman ho, to shut off in a neighborhood environment like I tried, after a $600. service bill I'll still have the same issue.
Any advice helping me resolve this problem or narrowing it down would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Another thing is do you have a key chain on the ignition or just the single key? Have had people do this and would vibrate enough to barely turn the ignition and would shut off. Just a thought along with what I mentioned in first post about the fuses,fuse holder block and thermal circuit breaker or short in wiring harness under the headlight pod area. OPT

Old 05-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Another thing is do you have a key chain on the ignition or just the single key? Have had people do this and would vibrate enough to barely turn the ignition and would shut off. Just a thought along with what I mentioned in first post about the fuses,fuse holder block and thermal circuit breaker or short in wiring harness under the headlight pod area. OPT
hey y'all, i've had a trailblazer and a magnum do this to me. turned out to be what OPT just said in my situation. the key rings i had, even though small, would barely touch or scrape the fuel tank cap and turn the key a little bit and BAM, both quads would die and then a restart was not a problem. so my basic fix was NO more key rings and i grinded the fuel caps down a little bit.
so another question is this: after 50 or so minutes of riding, does it kill itself on a turn of the handlebars or could we be looking at a fuel tank vacuum lock condition(had this problem on a honda)?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes I actually I do have a keychain , tomorrow I will remove it while riding & hope this resolves it. Thanks , appreciate your troubleshooting ?

Old 05-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

Was going to mention the key thing. I had a plastic key fog thing on mine, and it did the same thing when making sharp turns, Not something really fun on a steep up hill trail at H/M when I discovered what it was doing!!!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:02 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing is do you have a key chain on the ignition or just the single key? Have had people do this and would vibrate enough to barely turn the ignition and would shut off.

my 09 polaris would all of a sudden shut off also- then start right back up. drove me nuts cause i couldn't figure it out- turned out it was the key chain hanging off the key ring. the other keys and bottle opener would bounce around and jiggle the ignition key just enough to kill the motor, but not completly turn the key all the way off.

once I removed the key ring and used just the ignition key- it never stalled again.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was going to mention the key thing. I had a plastic key fog thing on mine, and it did the same thing when making sharp turns, Not something really fun on a steep up hill trail at H/M when I discovered what it was doing!!!
that's exactly when mine would always cut out- going up a rocky hill- handle bars turning then all of a sudden- dead!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

beergut and oldman800, y'all are very fortunate. that could've been catastrophic. i probably would've done what Bill Cosby said in "Bill Cosby Himself", first you say it, then you do it!

glad y'all made it through that ordeal.