Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need some advice on a 2up purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on a 2up purchase.

I am looking for some advice from some experienced ATV'ers. I have had a Honda Recon since 99 on the farm, however my wife and I are looking to start doing some ATV trail riding in northern Michigan.

I am looking at the Polaris Sportsman touring (2up). My budget is somewhat limited, but I am looking for the most bang for my buck.

1) Carb vs EFI? 500 vs 500 EPS.

2) I am 300 lbs and with my wife on also, is the 500 / 550 enough. I am not looking to race around, but want enough power if needed?

3) How does Polaris compare the the Can Am?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Can-Am offers the Outlander Max in 400, 500, 650, and 800cc sizes. Can-Am has a good ride with most power per cc for a utility type machine with a belt driven transmission. Good comfortable ride with good seating for passenger and driver. Frame is a bit on the weak side. They addressed part of the problem from 2010? and newer with an insert that strengthens the front part of the spar frame. If you get one earlier than the 2010 model you can buy a frame insert or get skid plates or both. We did the insert on my son's Renegade for peace of mind.

Polaris machines are probably the most comfortable riding quads out there. The 500 is a pretty bulletproof engine but I find it's a little lacking when trying to go all out on a wide uphill trail where you can open it up without worrying about hitting trees and rocks. In snow and in dry conditions I've found it won't pull my 350 lbs. up these kinds of hills in high gear more than 30-35 mph. I'm hoping to move up to the 850 Sportsman X2 at some point.

The Touring is made to be a comfortable riding machine for both the passenger and driver. The Sportsman X2 is more of a work machine (400 lb. rated rear springs) that sees an occasional passenger.

I like EFI better for cold weather starts than the carbed models. We've had both. I've never found the need for power steering but I'm a pretty strong guy. If your wife is thinking of driving sometimes power steering is a good idea on a utility machine.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 550 Touring would work pretty good.

I wouldn't buy an ATV without power steering due to the fact that is does an awesome job stopping the kickback through the steering when you hit something unexpected with one tire - IMHO it could actually be a life saver.

I have friends that have a Bombardier 400 Max and it hauls the two of them around just fine but CanAms have more power than the others.

I have a thread about my 2012 550 Touring EPS that might give you an idea what one is like. http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...y-new-atv.html

No matter what you do don't buy less than what you need and if your wife is going to drive get the EPS.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

if it will be used on the farm I personally would go with the X2 as it has a dump box that is on the rear but converts to a 2 up machine for 2 up riding so you would have a utility with a dump box for work and riding singly if so desired. I weigh 250 and ride with my wife and several other people 2 up on my 500 and have not had an issue it is a bit tight though meaning a bit harder to handle/maneuver when in tighter areas as it is not built for 2 and steering is really lacking with the extra weight.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I forgot to mention the X2s dumpbox. Thanks, Irinman. It is a very handy thing to have. I use it pretty often for moving firewood around. It does hold an honest 400 lbs. And it converts in about 10 seconds to a passenger seat. It's pretty unique.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

The only down side I can see to the Touring is when you have the passenger seat installed there is no room behind it for a trunk or a bag or for any kind of starage. The front box is great but very limited in size.

I took the passenger seat off and put this Polaris trunk in its place.

This is my most favorite thing about this machine.
I don't recall ever having a passenger.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the great info. I went out looking today and stopped by a couple of shops. Drove the Honda (w/ EPS) Rancher and the Rincon. Then went and test drove the Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. (the Polaris salesman acted like I inconvienced him and he had a Sportsman 550 w/ EPS but didnt get it out after I already told him I was interested in both.) I can see where the EPS would be very nice on long trail rides etc.

Of course the Honda guys jumped on the Polaris being belt driven vs shaft driven.

Anyway thanks again for the info and links.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

you only have 3 options for 2-up atv's-

1- Can-Am Outlander Max
2- Polaris Sportsman Touring (and XP touring models)
3- Artic Cat

-always buy the EFI.
-if you're riding 2-up, power steering is a nice treat that will keep the deflecting down to non-existant- keeping your arms and wrists a lot more comfortable.
- you're too big to ride 2-up on a 500!
Nothing less than the 650.

If I were you, I'd look at the polaris touring models 700-800cc

if I was me buying something with your money- I'd buy the can-am outlander 800 max xt no surprise there

and- comparing the polaris to the can-am is like comparing a lincoln navigator (polaris) to a caddy cts (can-am)
both awesome machines- both will out ride any other atv in its class. Just depends if you like the sportier feel of the can-am or the rugged feel of the popo.

Originally Posted by maxndale
I am looking for some advice from some experienced ATV'ers. I have had a Honda Recon since 99 on the farm, however my wife and I are looking to start doing some ATV trail riding in northern Michigan.

I am looking at the Polaris Sportsman touring (2up). My budget is somewhat limited, but I am looking for the most bang for my buck.

2) I am 300 lbs and with my wife on also, is the 500 / 550 enough. I am not looking to race around, but want enough power if needed?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

Power steering is the only way to go. Unfortunately, that eliminates the X2. No one can figure out why Polaris doesn't offer it on the X2.
The 550 is a good running machine, but it sounds like the 850 would be a better choice. That would eliminate any worry about power when loaded down.
I am a huge fan of EFI, but I ride a large variety of altitudes. From 4000' to 13000'+ and temps that range from below 0 to 100 degrees. Yes, I ride when it is that cold.
I haven't ridden a Can Am and nobody that I ride with rides one either, so I can't compare with them.
In my opinion, Artic Cat isn't in the same league with either one.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

I can see where the EPS would be very nice on long trail rides etc.
Where EPS really shines is in very tight, slow riding. At speed on a trail it isn't so much of an issue but when you're riding very slow and constantly turning it's a godsend. I regret not getting it on my XP.

Something to keep in mind when comparing Honda and Polaris is that hondas do not offer a locking front differential. When you're in mud or snow or when all 4 tires don't have contact with the ground the honda is going to direct all the power in the front to the tire with the least traction.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on a 2up purchase.