Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris magnum 330 clunk in low gear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris magnum 330 clunk in low gear?

I noticed as I shifted into low gear ( 2 wheel) It would make a clunk noise as I gave it throttle, then began to move normal. I tried shifting it into low 4 times and 2 of them it clunked, I have never noticed this before but I just bought this thing so I don't have very much riding time on it ( 2 miles). I have read about some other bikes that this may be normal but haven't found anything on the magnum. It sounded like it was coming from the front but It was in the garage and there is an echo in there so I'm not sure.I'm going to look more into it within the next couple days when I get more time. Any info would be great as I don't want to trash the thing if there is something wrong. Thanks

Old 03-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You can check the linkage for any wear or looseness,especially at the transmission belcrank,also idle it down a little and see if it helps,but as far as clunking into gear I don't hardly think I've seen a 325 or 330 that didn't clunk at least a little. OPT

Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well i started it up again yesterday to see what was going on with it. I started it waited 30 seconds and reved it in neutral and it clunked and then shut off. I started it again put it into low and it clunked but stayed running, so i let it warm up for 2 3 mins and it ran fine. Took it down the drive in low, reversed, put it in high, reversed, neutral and so on. It didnt do it again. Could it be that it needs to warm up a little more before I give it gas and then it wont clunk? Its fairly loud not a little tick or cling, but this is my first 4 wheeler so I have no idea. I just dont want to tear it apart for no reason and especially dont want to take it to the dealer for any reason. Any more/ different ideas. Still thinking linkage? or? Thanks

Old 03-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Clunking into gear is somewhat normal on these as I've said,but dying is not! The 325 and 330 are notorious for lean carb settings(that can be corrected by richening up the mixture) and have to warm up longer than most Polaris atvs. Also does it try to creep when you place it in gear? OPT

Old 03-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

It does try to creep very slightly in low, if I were to get off of the machine. I let it warm up a good amount a little bit ago to take my son for a ride and there was no clunking what so ever so I guess I will try to let it warm up longer and see if that will eliminate the noise at least most of the time. Thanks for your replys, as I said I dont know much about these 4x4 atvs as this is my first one but dont want to over look a potential problem. It definitely sounds like it is coming from the front diff.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by pavwa
It does try to creep very slightly in low, if I were to get off of the machine. I let it warm up a good amount a little bit ago to take my son for a ride and there was no clunking what so ever so I guess I will try to let it warm up longer and see if that will eliminate the noise at least most of the time. Thanks for your replys, as I said I dont know much about these 4x4 atvs as this is my first one but dont want to over look a potential problem. It definitely sounds like it is coming from the front diff.
Creeping could be part of the reason,could be the reason it may be clashing in gear.Could be rear clutch is spinning too fast? You might want to check out the belt and clutches. Problem could just be in this area. Clutches could be out of alignment,previous owner may have the wrong or after market belt, wear in the rear clutch ramp buttons,etc? But you say noise is coming from the front? Have you also checked out the front drive shaft cv joints or u-joints for damage also?? Plus have you changed/checked the hub fluid?? OPT

Old 03-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am in the process of replacing the front cv boot as we speak, so maybe the tear in the boot caused some problem in the cv itself ( hope not) I will check everything out while I am in there once I figure out how to get the a arm off, its giving me a hell of a time, even though its a simple thing. Its always something. Thanks

Old 03-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Also since it's a 4 wheel drive there were problems on the plastic hilliard cage cracking in the front gear case.(that is if it's a late build 330 with the centralized awd and doesn't have the hub awd system!) ) Hopefully the noise is just the cv joint. OPT

Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well the boots on, fluids checked, clutch and belt seem to be good. I ran it for a while changing gears and it never clunked. I went to move it into the garage last night put it in reverse backed down the drive and turned around in reverse to the garage door ( No clunk) put it into high and it clunked, but again I didnt let it warm up for more than 30 seconds since it is in the 70s here right now. I dont really know what to do from here, I hate to tear the front down to check the cage especially when this could be just a noise that it makes for no problematic reason. I dont know.. I am going to try changing the front fluid but I gotta make it to a dealer as there isnt one close by. Thanks for your help OPT it is really appreciated. I will post back when its done. Thanks again