Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris 90

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris 90

Hey all, Been a long time since I've been here. I just bought a 2001 polaris 90cc. It starts and idles but will not accelerate unless I put my hand over the carb intake (choking it off). From what I've read the electric choke is troublesome. I don't want to replace the choke with another electric one so where can I get a manual choke? I've looked at the 2003 manual choke carb and it looks the same so could I use it? Any info would be helpful, Thanks.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome back! First off sounds like you need to check the carb jets out, needle valve,plus make sure the small hole in the float bowl edge that leads to the bottom of the bowl is open,this is the choke pick up (air compressor and blow gun helps) plus check the air filter out.(That is if you haven't done this already?) We had an "in house bulletin" from Polaris on starting procedure on the electric choke models and works on the manual choke models too especially if they have been sitting a few days or in cold weather. Just use your thumb to block the curved air inlet which allows more fuel to quickly start the machines! They just don't have the suction to pull fuel very well when cold weather hits or have been sitting a few days.After they are warm,no problem on starting!Try this and you might be surprised how easy they will start! We were at the shop! DON'T bother with the manual choke refit! Still will have to block off the air tube on occasion! OPT

Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Weird thing is, it starts right up no problem and idles for a few seconds then dies. with everything in place. I cleaned the carb and blew through all the passages. Maybe I should do it again. Right now with the air inlet pipe removed I can start it, cup the carb inlet with my hand (like a choke) and it then throttle up like it's supposed to.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You are blocking most of the air flow when you block the back of the carb allowing more fuel either through partially clogged jets, fuel not being picked up quick enough(check fuel line for any kinks also) plus forgot to mention at the back of the carb should be a short rubber tube with a red plug in it(make sure the tube isn't split) Plus another area is the exhaust pipe can become stopped up plus carbon can build up around the exhaust port limiting exhaust (check the end of the exhaust pipe to make sure you have good exhaust flow also. Plus the air fuel screw should be around 3/8 - 1 1/4 turn out (have to experiment a little on this setting) OPT

Old 03-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Fuel flow is good, the plug on the back is good, I haven't pulled off the exhaust yet so I will have to check that. Where does the electric choke get its power from. I pulled it out and it was extended and when I took a test light to the plug there is a VERY faint light when cranking over. Extended is the full choke position correct? If so it should be flooded but it is obviously lean since I can choke it off at the carb and then it runs like it should. Am I right? I'm a car guy this mini atv stuff is new to me. Oh and also I pulled the spark plug and compression is enough to push my thumb off so I should be drawing in fuel. I can buy a new electric choke carb for 35 bucks so I may have to try that.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Extended position on the choke is the closed position! It's supposed to raise when cold(when you first crank the atv) allowing more fuel,then as it warms up it extends,closing the enrichment circuit (which almost none do!!) Wouldn't waste my money on a new electric choke! You can install a manual choke,BUT still may have to block the air inlet tube if it's very cold or has been sitting awhile! Works better IF everything else is right(fuel supply,compression,etc),just to block the inlet tube with your thumb when cold! They crank right up for me and a lot of customers I showed this procedure to were shocked because they just cranked and cranked and could never get em started!Just not a lot of vacuum pulling power on the 90 and the little 50 engines! The little four strokes were a completely different machine,had no problem cranking them! The main problem other than starting these little ones were stators that burnt out or got very weak. You can pull the plastic housing and try to clean all the dirt and grit and it may help,but the way the covers are designed lets in too much water,grass, dirt,etc which leads to the stator shorting out.. OPT

Old 03-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok. I'll try a few things and get back to you. Thanks a bunch.