Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

98 Xplorer 400 popping noise on acceleration

Old 10-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Xplorer 400 popping noise on acceleration

Hey guys,
I am getting a "popping" sound when I am accelerating or the bike is under a load such as climbing a hill. It has done it a little for some time but is now really getting much worse. Is my front sproket possibly worn out and the chain skipping??? Just a guess. Really starting to sound bad. Thanks for your help!!!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Just check the front and rear sprockets for worn or missing teeth. Plus chain should have about 3/8"-1/2" slack in the middle of the chain,if too loose could jump sprocket teeth. If all this checks out then could be the "silent "chain slipping in the transmission! OPT

Old 10-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

my chain looks to be very loose, lying on top of the arm beneath it. Isthis too loose, is it easy to tighten the chain? Honestly.......I've owned this bike for about 8 years and it has been incredible, to the point that I've never done any maintenance on it at all. I would not know where to begin tightening the chain.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be the reason its acting up now! A little maintenance now and then helps OPT
Loosen the TWO 5/8" pinch bolts at the rear eccentric housing,You can just use a DULL punch on the "ears" on the inside of the housing and tap down and the housing will move forward tightening the chain! Stop at about 1/2" tight on the middle and tighten the two pinch bolts. If you have a small punch you can insert in one of the rear sprocket holes while rolling the atv forward and it also will lock into the housing. Continue rolling forward and the chain will tighten as the housing turns,stop when you get to the correct chain slack,then tighten bolts! Not ALL sprockets are set to where you can insert a punch,if so just use the "ear" method,BUT don't break the "ears off!! A little grease on the zerk fittings and a little lube on the chain(if its not worn out )Helps a lot! OPT

Old 10-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome. sounds like a chain/sproket issue.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the help......quick too. I'll see what I can get done, a buddy of mine has a 97 that's doing the same thing. May be a group effort next Saturday.

Not to carry this thread on but.....anyone know of a good service manual, saw one on the auction site on disk for $10. Any good? Would be nice to have some diagrams of what is being discussed above. thanks.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ldennis
thanks for the help......quick too. I'll see what I can get done, a buddy of mine has a 97 that's doing the same thing. May be a group effort next Saturday.

Not to carry this thread on but.....anyone know of a good service manual, saw one on the auction site on disk for $10. Any good? Would be nice to have some diagrams of what is being discussed above. thanks.
The owners manual covers the above and other maintenance stuff. Free on the polaris web site, just sign in and download. If you have issues that the owners manual doesn't cover...this site along with "gen3" will get you covered. Great sites.

Wenty

Old 10-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Wenty
The owners manual covers the above and other maintenance stuff. Free on the polaris web site, just sign in and download. If you have issues that the owners manual doesn't cover...this site along with "gen3" will get you covered. Great sites.

Wenty
Thanks!!!!!