Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ball joint removal trick

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stendori
well i learned(already knew it) not to buy aftermarket crap. i did drill a hole through the top of it to let grease in(don't know if it will even work)and i had a b@tch of a time to get the new one in and ended up doing a little grinding to get it in but it's together and now finally in a rolling chaise.now i'm waiting for my 2nd(yep it's not a misprint)warn winch to come in as the first one will not fit in the bumper . i get the feeling i've been out of wheeling too long and i'm being punished lol.
I purchased a new Warn for my '01 500HO also earlier this year and had to "redesign" my bumper mount to use it - had to "move" the opening over about 2" (cut a piece out of one side of the opening and welded it into the other side) and re-drill a couple of the holes. They went to metric bolts also so be ready for that! Turned out to be a project in itself!

Old 10-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pwssr
I purchased a new Warn for my '01 500HO also earlier this year and had to "redesign" my bumper mount to use it - had to "move" the opening over about 2" (cut a piece out of one side of the opening and welded it into the other side) and re-drill a couple of the holes. They went to metric bolts also so be ready for that! Turned out to be a project in itself!
ya i already saw they put the damn metric bolts in and these bolts needed to be beveled flush mount. besides i would had to take off most if not all the free spool **** to get it into the mount. there was no resigning that lol. beleave me i could have done it but it wasn't worth it so i just bought another 2.5 ci warn which will fit. i'm just going to resell the 2.5rt warn i bought. but right now i have 3 warn winches.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer

ya i already saw they put the damn metric bolts in and these bolts needed to be beveled flush mount. besides i would had to take off most if not all the free spool **** to get it into the mount. there was no resigning that lol. beleave me i could have done it but it wasn't worth it so i just bought another 2.5 ci warn which will fit. i'm just going to resell the 2.5rt warn i bought. but right now i have 3 warn winches.
I didn't want to do ANY mods to the winch, so I did undertake the redesign of the bumper/mount! It came out real nice and I went all out - 4 gauge wiring back to the battery. It's the XT25 model and it pulls like a bear!

YIKES - I just realized we have ventured WAY off topic - SORRY!

Old 08-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default best trick

as title says what is the trick if any to removing a ball joint on the sp 500? useless manual i have doesn't say anything except to remove it once plate if off and it isn't moving.. tried a little penetrating oil and even heat and it doesn't want to come out. suggestions welcomed.
I had the same problem ball joint broke at base of threads sprayed with penetrating oil let set then used a grease gun to push it out worked like a charm after an hour of pulling and prying I couldn't believe how easy it was thanks alot for the tip thumbs up

Old 12-09-2019, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tapped plate

Originally Posted by mike500HO
I had the same problem ball joint broke at base of threads sprayed with penetrating oil let set then used a grease gun to push it out worked like a charm after an hour of pulling and prying I couldn't believe how easy it was thanks alot for the tip thumbs up
Hi guys sorry to jump in but when I took my plate slash retainer plate for ball joint I stripped one of the screws. So I obviously tried to tap a new one in as when I tried to get the screw out with an easy out as we call it here in New Hampshire, it went to hell and can’t seem to get a thread going so I put the other screw in , after replacing ball joint, and sealed the plate with JB weld all around. Bad idea I know but so far it’s sealed shut even after plowing 16” of snow for 4 hours. Any ideas on tapping that ???