Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Starts with black CDI wire disconnected.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts with black CDI wire disconnected.

I have a 2003 Trailblazer that turns one with the black wire from the CDI unit disconnected. Does anyone know what might the issue be with my 2003 Polaris Trailblazer, it has been about a year that I have had it sitting in my back yard in the open to the elements. It just wouldnt start so I just left it there, I have been looking for info here for about 2 wks on what I could do to fix it. So I found a thread that suggested to disconnect the black wire on the CDI unit to see if it started and it did, but if I do that I cant turn it of with the kill switch or key. I have to manually connect the black wire back and it turns off. Please help.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

OPT can verify it, but I think that is for the reverse override. When you back up, if you don't hold the override button does it hesitate and backfire? If it is that wire, you should be able to back up with the quad running just like it was in the forward gear without using the button.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Black wire from cdi is the ignition kill wire. I've had some atvs that wouldn't run unless this was unplugged. Either a short in the cdi itself or left control switch or even ignition switch problem. Ive replaced ignition switches and left control switches and still wouldn't run unless black wire was disconnected. Had a couple customers that DIDN'T want to replace the cdi and would choke em to kill em!! OPT

Old 08-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Black wire from cdi is the ignition kill wire. I've had some atvs that wouldn't run unless this was unplugged. Either a short in the cdi itself or left control switch or even ignition switch problem. Ive replaced ignition switches and left control switches and still wouldn't run unless black wire was disconnected. Had a couple customers that DIDN'T want to replace the cdi and would choke em to kill em!! OPT
This is why they don't send me out on the bomb squad.

Maybe it was the yellow wire I was thinking of.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Had a couple customers that DIDN'T want to replace the cdi and would choke em to kill em!! OPT
that's sad that people will pay a few thousand dollars on a quad and then skimp on the proper parts or "neglect" the quad because of "problems".

Old 08-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Jaster94
that's sad that people will pay a few thousand dollars on a quad and then skimp on the proper parts or "neglect" the quad because of "problems".

It happens if you have a lot of "redneck" customers like I had to deal with off and on!! OPT

Old 08-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, well I replaced the CDI with a used on that I found on e-bay, so either the CDI I bought has the same problem or it is not the CDI. I opened the left control switch and it was a bit dirty but after the cleaning it still does the same. Do you suggest I buy an ignition switch?

Old 08-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by almazan0637
Ok, well I replaced the CDI with a used on that I found on e-bay, so either the CDI I bought has the same problem or it is not the CDI. I opened the left control switch and it was a bit dirty but after the cleaning it still does the same. Do you suggest I buy an ignition switch?
I suggest you have a good cdi and just need to check the wiring from the left control switch down into the headlight harness(and also the switch connections and the control switch itself!) I've found shorts in there before! Plus do the same on ignition switch under the headlight pod because of all the turning and movement in this area! At least you have a backup cdi unless you are able to return used electrical items?? MOST wont take em back!!Check both the ignition switch and control switch wiring before you start throwing any more parts at it!OPT

Old 08-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

I may be wrong here but in most cases the black wire "kills" the engine when the ignition switch or kill switch grounds this wire.

If that is the case to save money all you need to do is hook up your own "kill" switch.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

Yes....Replace the kill switch and you will be fine....

Quick Reply: Starts with black CDI wire disconnected.