Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Symptoms of a bad coil

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symptoms of a bad coil

I have a 2003 Sportsman 700.Recently when the machine gets hot it starts running like sh*t. It spits and spuders. I have cleaned the carb, new fuel filter and new plugs. It seems to run just fine when its cold but after it gets hot it starts acting up..

I have read that the coils have a reputation of going bad on this machine. I was hoping someone could tell me if this sounds like the issue.

If it is the coil, is this a did it yourself job? I'm pretty handy.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you lose spark or it starts to spit and studder,then the electrical system is going out and has to be changed from the Ducati system to the updated Kokusan system(flywheel,stator,cdi coil,regulator/rectifier,jumper harness kit and instructions) Polaris kit# 2202602. You have what is called a "coil pack" that is a combination cdi and coil assembly. When this problem first started I was able to get the coil pack,but now its not available. I replaced a couple and then they would come back with the stator bad! Then a couple months later when I tried to order the stator it was changed to the kit! 2002, 2003, and early 2004 units were affected. AND I never received a bulletin about this that I can remember! The cheapest I've found on this kit is from Cycle Parts Warehouse and its about $475! You are the second one with this problem on the forum today! I ended up replacing about four or five kits before I retired! When you look up under Magneto on the website it shows you the kit number it updates to.They still show the coil pack,but they will probably send you the Kokusan cdi which wont work by itself! You might be able to find a used "coil pack" on e-bay,but be careful as they all will go out! Sorry to bring this up to you,but this is the problem! OPT

Old 06-17-2011, 06:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not sure if I'm losing spark. It just runs real crappy when it gets hot. I also noticed when I changed the plugs they were all black...I'm assuming from running lean.

Is it a pretty straight forward job to change it all out?

Old 06-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Pro Rider

You may be running rich. You may have a carb problem.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ffmike
I'm not sure if I'm losing spark. It just runs real crappy when it gets hot. I also noticed when I changed the plugs they were all black...I'm assuming from running lean.

Is it a pretty straight forward job to change it all out?
Just try new plugs and see if it helps as mentioned. and you can check the carb out for needle and seat wear.Make sure you use NGK BKR7ES NOT the OEM Champion plugs that came with the atv! If doesn't help and still "breaks down" when it gets hot,then its probably the Ducati sytem going out. NOT trying to sound negative on this,but this system WILL eventually go out! If you do have to change it out the only "major tool' other than basic hand tools is a flywheel puller. A good steering wheel puller and 8 mm bolts will usually get it off, BUT it is one of the tougher ones to "pop off", plus heat from a heat gun or torch around the center of the flywheel while under pressure will help. After that just follow the instructions on the new kit. OPT