Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need your thinkin caps.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your thinkin caps.

OK gentleman, I was out riding yesterday on my 07 sp500 and noticed when going down a hill steep enough to cause the front to dip drastically. I am getting a grinding noise that sounds to me like metal on metal from the front end. (In 2wd,4wd, or 4wd w/adc) I can also duplicate the noise by hitting a dip hard enough to compress the suspension and get the same noise for just a moment. I've checked the wheel bearings,and axle shafts and all is good. 4wd works as it should. Just changed the fluid. I suspect something is binding in the hillard but for the life of me can't see why it's only happening when the axle shafts are more or less level with the front drive. Upon inspection I did notice I was able to grab the axle shaft (either side) and jiggle them slightly up and down where the splines of the axle shaft meet the output of the front drive. It's an equal amount of play on both sides. And when I jiggle one side, the other side will jiggle slightly as well. If I remember right there has always been just a touch of up and down play but now I'm wondering if there should be, and/or somethings worn on the internals. Suggestion as to what it could be?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

sounds pretty close to what was happening to my buddies 850 and you said you just changed the fluid in the front diff , and i'm not real sure if the adc setup is the same as the 850's but there is a little resoirvoir for the adc too and his fluid was the culprit like i said it made those same noises especially when going down hills or on decceleration but seems to me it was only in adc mode worth a look anyhow good luck

Old 05-01-2011, 12:36 PM

I considered the ADC but didn't check it yet since it's doing it regardless 2wd, 4wd, 4wd/adc. (I'll take a look but doubt it's the problem) And only when the front suspension is compressed.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wonder about the bearings in the front end??

Old 05-01-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by stendori
i wonder about the bearings in the front end??
That crossed my mind but seems odd to me that it's not doing it during normal riding and higher speeds. I may pull the front this week to see. I've never a the front drive out before. Any tips for pulling it? Or pretty straight forward?

Old 05-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

knock roll pin out of front drive line,pull both axle shafts out of diff, unhook wires to diff unbolt diff from under neath and remove it

Old 05-01-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
knock roll pin out of front drive line,pull both axle shafts out of diff, unhook wires to diff unbolt diff from under neath and remove it
Yep, that much I figure. Will I need to pull the axle from the struts, tie rods etc. or can it be done with out taking the whole front end apart. I did some more looking and feel the bearings are very suspect. Is there a napa brand or such that'll match if they're bad? And while I'm at it, What's the JD part numbers to fit an 07 for the cage and rollers just in case the OE is worse for wear. I don't suppose the JD bearings would fit as well?

Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 PM

Well I'm completely baffled. I pulled the diff and everything inside looks pristine. Now that I took it apart and replaced the fluid again including all new fluid for the ADC hopefully it doesn't happen again. I'll find out in two weeks when I take my yearly trip to haspin acres for a fun filled event of beer, meat, more meat, more beer and a little riding. Did I mention beer and meat? IF anyone's interested a small group of us will be there may 13th-15th.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer

How about your tie rod ends? Any play in them b/c I have a similar sound and its my tie rod ends. Just haven't replaced them yet.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 PM

Tie rods are fine. I went through every moving part up front with a fine tooth comb and don't see the problem. It's a sound from the front for sure. The only thing I can figure is maybe the ADC was the noise maker that some guys are talking about, and I completely changed that fluid when I had it torn down. So time will tell Only thing that gets me is if it was the ADC why make noise in 2wd. And why only hearing the noise when descending very steep hills.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need your thinkin caps.