Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

96 Polaris sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Polaris sportsman

Hi everyone,..
I'm a newcomer to forums and also to owning a Polaris atv., though have ridden them over the years and am looking forward to learning and possibly helping others in the future also.
I have a second hand 96 Polaris sportsman 500,.. I've had troubles previously with the air box with air flow into it,..it had 2 holes cut out on the cover and wouldn't go at all until we covered them over and sealed it shut and was running great,...until recently. (Are they designed to be vacuum sealed like that or do they need extra air flow to box)..?
The bike takes off great and gets to a certain rev and speed and will only stay at that speed,.. if I keep accelerating it bogs down. We've checked fuel lines, carbi and are at a loss to identify problem. Can anyone help..?

Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by okidoki
Hi everyone,..
I'm a newcomer to forums and also to owning a Polaris atv., though have ridden them over the years and am looking forward to learning and possibly helping others in the future also.
I have a second hand 96 Polaris sportsman 500,.. I've had troubles previously with the air box with air flow into it,..it had 2 holes cut out on the cover and wouldn't go at all until we covered them over and sealed it shut and was running great,...until recently. (Are they designed to be vacuum sealed like that or do they need extra air flow to box)..?
The bike takes off great and gets to a certain rev and speed and will only stay at that speed,.. if I keep accelerating it bogs down. We've checked fuel lines, carbi and are at a loss to identify problem. Can anyone help..?
You might have to replace the old air box bottom if the bolts are broken and dont seal the top completely! It will run lean and bog if not sealed properly. You could try to update this old system(never did one my self though) hope this helps. Plus the replacement bottom box has a new part # which usually means an improvemt! CANT get your image so I'm flying blind! OPT

Old 03-22-2011, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey thanks so much,
That's exactly what's happened,.. the bolts are broken away from the plastics, down to only 3 holding it now.
So ive ordered a new Box hoping it will fix the problem.
cheers your a champion,
thanks
okan.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:50 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they are designed to have a sealed air box for sure for best running results. thats why when most people take there covrs off and start them they nnever seem to idle/run right until the cover seals it back up. imo

Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 AM
Pro Rider

could also be worn buttons in the secondary clutch

Old 03-22-2011, 06:09 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
could also be worn buttons in the secondary clutch

This and also could be a bad cam.Older Polaris 4strokes are very prone to loosing lobes

Old 03-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

the secondary clutch,
good point kerrbirds, were looking into it. I'll let you know how we go. Thanks heaps.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

It wasn't the cam,..it wasn't the air box either, even though its getting replaced asap.
It was the 3 Buttons,.. not on the clutch,..but rather the rear one that has a spring in it,..it was all jammed up,..took forever to get it free and cleaned it up and replaced buttons. $10 job, though months of "head twist".Thats why the belt was fraying cause the front was pushing in and out but not the rear, and the revs hitting the limiter.
Thanks alot You guys are brilliant,.. "couldn't have done it without the advice".
Ps: taking out to the mountains tomoro night for a ride cant wait,.. tested it,..The Monster screams, runs better than before.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:02 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I never changed the buttons before even on our 97 SP500 with 7500 miles that still runs like it did from new. I wonder if I should just change them anyways and beat the problem to the punch?

BTW if it was the Cam lobe problem the major symptom is backfiring through the carb but we have not ran into that one yet as well.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

With 7500 miles bound to have some wear on em, usually they grind down on one side and if worn down enough can break off ramp button screws,ain't fun if they do that. I'd replace em. OPT

Quick Reply: 96 Polaris sportsman