Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dead Horse Trail and other photos

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Horse Trail and other photos

These are the trails near our cabin. Found some lakes that the trails lead too...pretty neat.

Found some puddles to splash in. My wife even got in on the fun!

On to Dead Horse. We rode about 56 miles. Did the loop and the upper northeast out and back. We didn't quite make it all the way because we were getting low on fuel. I rode the 550, and my wife along with her parents all rented from Clam Lake Power Sports. They were Can-Am 4x4 400's...worked out great! There had been tons of rain, so there were puddles galore and some mud sections that were a blast. Not many photos, too busy playing in the wet stuff. Had to winch out twice though...first time I got to really use my Warn winch...worth every penny!

Stopped for lunch...

Shot of my father in law - never rode before this trip!

Same spot as the previous one but entering from the other side...this was in two wheel drive. I really enjoyed seeing what my machine and the tires (stock) could do in two wheel drive. Finding the limits on the stuff we ride is a good lesson from time to time.

Last one. There were so many spots like this it was so much fun. Could quite possibly be the best trip I will ever have on the Dead Horse simply because of the amount of rain. Dust free riding, lots and lots of water and sun to boot!

Trying this out for the first time...video from my camera uploaded to youtube. This was a fun hole!
YouTube - Polaris 550 in Mud/Water Hole in Northern Wisconsin

Old 06-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well at least you didnt turn them into a boat tring to cross the pond lol nice pics.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

Excellent pictures of your trip!. I love seeing where other people go on their outings. Where abouts is this? State? Province? Town? .... We don't have 50+ miles of trails where we go unless you join a club, by trail permits, have insurance for all the bikes and whatever else they want...this all equals alot of money. We have about 3 or 4 miles that we use (in northern Ontario) that has some mud holes, some hills with rain washed rocks, some gravel roads, and some straight bush riding. I'd love to have something like you show in your pictures.

Wrench

Old 06-25-2010, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

It's in Northern Wisconsin. The trail system is called "The Dead Horse Trail". We unloaded in a small town called Clam Lake, WI.

"Ashland County
Dead Horse Run ATV trail-The entire Dead Horse System is 56 miles.Most of the trail system is located on snowmobile trails with a tread about 14 feet wide. Much of the trail has a firm tread; however, some sections are located on wetter soils and pools of water may be present on the trail. In addition to bringing tools and perhaps fuel, one should consider a tow strap in your kit. This trail system has few opportunities for purchasing fuel. Trailheads-Highway 77 - A small trailhead is located on the east shore of Dead Horse Slough about 2 miles east of Clam Lake. From the intersections of State Highways 13 and 77, drive 11 miles to the trailhead, which is on the right (north) side of the highway.
Camp Loretta - From the intersection of State Highway 70 and County Highway GG near Loretta, drive north 2.6 miles on GG. Turn left (west) on FR 621 and drive 0.2 miles to the entrance to the old CCC camp, which is the trailhead.

http://www.ashlandbaydays.com/forms/Dead_Horse_Map.pdf

Thanks for the comment about the photos. I also enjoy looking at other people's trips and adventures.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Send those pics to the Honda forum,apparently belt drive ATV can go through water.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice pics. Looks like great fun.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

nice bikes! and real nice pics! looks like fun

Old 06-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where is this place at??

Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wrenchgear
Excellent pictures of your trip!. I love seeing where other people go on their outings. Where abouts is this? State? Province? Town? .... We don't have 50+ miles of trails where we go unless you join a club, by trail permits, have insurance for all the bikes and whatever else they want...this all equals alot of money. We have about 3 or 4 miles that we use (in northern Ontario) that has some mud holes, some hills with rain washed rocks, some gravel roads, and some straight bush riding. I'd love to have something like you show in your pictures.

Wrench
3-4 miles in Northern Ontario???
You must live in a major city......I am in Muskoka, and lots of trails here.
I also go to Elliot Lake(north,no pay trails) crown land.,Gogama area, Mattawa(pay use),Lots of crown land i Northern Ontario to ride.
.....Caper.........