Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08 Sportsman 500 EFI sputters when wet

Old 09-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Sportsman 500 EFI sputters when wet

Hey all great forum I must say:-). Having aproblem with my bike. The other weekend I was out riding, lots of deep water and mud, bike ran fine. The engine HOT light came on, so checked the rad and it was pretty dirty, shut bike off and let it cool down. Started bike up and next puddle i'd say about 6-8" deep I hit fairly fast to try and clean out the rad a bit. After hitting this puddle and water flying everywhere the bike would cough and sputter when I gave it gas, basically ran like crap. First time it's ever done this and I've hit some puddles pretty fast before. Let the bike sit over night and ran it the next day everything was fine, so I assumed that I had hit this puddle to fast and something got wet that shouldn't have. Today I washed the bike off with the power washer like I've always done without any problems, and now it's doing the same thing. Any suggestions as to where i should look first? Thinking maybe spark plug boot is getting wet? Anyone else had this problem?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

If your going to run in water,puddles etc. It's a good idea to go through the whole bike's electrical system and use plenty of dialectic grease on all connections including spark plug boot.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer

Ok it's been awhile since I posted this. I put dielectric grease on all my wiring connections including the spark plug boot. This past weekend, hit a bit of water again and same thing happened. Bike runs like crap, idle is all over the place, backfires under load and dies, seems to miss going down the trail if I can get it going that is, stalls out when throttle is applied sometimes....oh and reverse speed limiter seems to be way lower.....won't let bike go over 2200 rpm in reverse before limiter kicks in now, not sure if it's related or not.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Trailblazer

K think I've narrowed it down to the throttle position sensor, whenever i pour water on that bike starts running like crap. However when I get the blink codes codes 41 and 44 come up, ones a crank position sensor and the other is ait temp sensor i think....so not sure why water affects the TPS sensor.....

Old 10-06-2010, 08:21 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Spay the sensor with a water proofing ignition spay if you think it's the problem.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Trailblazer

Spray whole sensor or just dielectric grease on the connector.....wonder if sensor may be cracked or something. FRom what I've reader replacing the tps sensor has to be done at the dealer to...need a special test harness or something.