Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

95 Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4 overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ended up just torqueing them down.... seems like a lot more for 20 ft lbs, and not it does leak. But we took out today and it is still blowing coolant out of the overflow. I drained the overflow totally out, and it was still hissing steam out of the vent hole.....

the fan was kicking on at times but im sure its notsupposed to be blowing coolant and steam out of the vent hole..... any suggestions?

Old 05-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

I was fighting this same thing last summer. but it usually went a few rides before it started. it's problem turned out to be that the head was flat but I have decided that the lapped finish I put on my head wasn't good enough. I fixed the surface and went it away. these style of head gaskets like a good finish i'm told. but a good machined surface is good. lapping makes it flatter and better finish in thoery, but lapping is time consuming so therefore expensive.

Will it blow coolant before the fan comes on?
Does it blow coolant but you can still hold your hand on the cyl?
After the machine has cooled off completly is there still some pressure when you pull the rad cap?
What temp are you riding in?
Did the hot light come on at all today?

Really there is two reasons it could blow coolant.
Engine too hot
because of a plugged rad, bad pump, working it really hard in heat with no fan.
In my experience with these 400's they cool really well and they have to be worked pretty hard at slow speeds to get fan even on. And on a scrambler the lack off plastic gives it even more direct air. there are different temp fan switchs available. the fan sensor/switch off like a 2000 scrambler 400 gets the fan on sooner than our 96 Sportsman. by 20 degrees I think

Or the head gasket is leaking compression into cooling.

So I guess my question is. Is it boiling the coolant to make the pressure?
Or is the pressure coming without heat?

Old 05-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im thinking its boiling the coolant, I mean we rode for a few minutes and it was blowing coolant out pretty much immediately, but I think it was overfull. I had it very low on the low mark on the overflow, but when it got heated up it started blowing out. I drained the overflow empty.... rode for a little while longer and then it was just eventually blowing out just steam....

when i crank the motor I do not see any movement in the radiator fluid wise...

since i have replaced the head gasket it does not blow coolant out of the overflow or rad cap upon cranking it like it did, and now I have 140PSI compression vs 80psi before I did the head gasket...

the temp light did not come on at all, not sure if it works because it didnt come one before when it blew the top rad hose off the head

the outside temp was like 65 degrees! it was a very cool day.

Will it blow coolant before the fan comes on? yes
Does it blow coolant but you can still hold your hand on the cyl? no
After the machine has cooled off completly is there still some pressure when you pull the rad cap? not sure
What temp are you riding in? 65 degrees
Did the hot light come on at all today? no

Old 05-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

you see with mine it would blow coolant all over the clutch cover the first time I would hold it wide open on the road, cold or operating temp.
I wouldn't think the fan would be at that temp. but depnds on ground speed and load.
fan should come on at 205 F. I guess the hot light comes on at that temp too. Which is stupid. I guess that is why newer machines come on earlier. But 205 isn't hot enough to boil coolant or to make the 13 psi it takes to open the rad cap. So either the fan switch doesn't work and it is boiling the coolant. or... Go for a ride with an infared temp gun. or buy or borrow a cooling system pressure tester. put it on without it pumping up. take it for a quick ride. check the pressure. mine gained ten pounds as soon as I opened the throttle with a dead cold engine.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

does anyone know the proper setting for the 1995 polaris scrambler 400 2 stroke carberator air screw?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

i believe stock is 1.5 turns out. but that doesn't mean a thing.
what elevation are you at and what is the temp?
what size pilot are you running? stock is 40
is the bike stock?
proper adjustment of the air screw is all about. setting the max lean idle. you will need a tach.
the tuning books say something like less than 1 turn means you need a bigger pilot. more than 2-2.5 you need a smaller pilot. I can find a more detail instruction on how to set it but i have never touched one a stock bike. let me know