Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

96 Polaris Xpress 300 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Polaris Xpress 300 Questions

Ok, have a couple questions.

Bought a 96 Polaris Xpress 300 and needing to replace the piston and rings and such as the person that had it before forgot to put oil in it and they burnt up

Anyways, it was apart when I bought it, seen what all it had wrong with it and for $150, I couldn't pass that up.

1. Does the crankcase need any type of fluid in it, like 2-stroke oil or anything? When I got it there, was nothing in the crankcase, it was all drained and everything. I was thinking that it doesn't need any as its a 2-stroke, but I might be wrong.

2. And if oil is needed in the crank case, how much is needed? 2 quarts?

3. It didn't look bad, but should I change the tranny fluids as well to make sure? And if so, what type of fluid and how much? Don't have any kind of manual for the atv, so I don't have any numbers Will hopefully get a book sometime in the near future though.

Well, thats all I can think of atm. If I need anything else, I will most likely post back in this thread.

EDIT* Heres a pic of the ATV right after we got it out of the back of the truck and everything.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

The two strokes do not use any oil in the crankcase. It is oiled through the oil injection or premix. My 400 has a counter balance shaft that takes oil, but not sure about the 300. It probally would be a good idea to change the trans fluid so you know that it is fresh. Use chain case oil. If nobody lets you know the capacity I will look it up for you and get back to you.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks a bunch ctdnwakulla. I'll look around and keep checking here on how much fluid it will need.

If anything, I might have to go out and spend the $70 on the book >.<

Old 04-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Range Rover

The 300 does not have a counter balance shaft,so you do'nt have to worry about that. The trans takes 20 ozs of chain case oil . I use Amsoil and have used Polaris brand in the past. I would also suggest you premix your gas after replacing the piston to help with break in and monitor your oil injection system to make sure it is working. Get some extra plugs though, cause they will probally foul on that premixed tank of fuel if your oil injection is working. I premixed mine at 40:1.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by ctdnwakulla
The 300 does not have a counter balance shaft,so you do'nt have to worry about that. The trans takes 20 ozs of chain case oil . I use Amsoil and have used Polaris brand in the past. I would also suggest you premix your gas after replacing the piston to help with break in and monitor your oil injection system to make sure it is working. Get some extra plugs though, cause they will probally foul on that premixed tank of fuel if your oil injection is working. I premixed mine at 40:1.
Thanks bunch. Think I'm still going to go out and get the manual for it as theres still more that I will have to do. Going to look for it on ebay first though to see if I can get it any cheaper

Old 05-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, just got the head back and everything from the bore shop here in town. had to bore it to 76mm to get the groves out of it from what happened when the last owner had it. Was told from them that it has been bored once, so I'm guessing the previous owner had it overhauled and didn't want to do again when it went bad this time.

Anyways, everything is going to be put back together tomorrow and I'm going to go out and get 2 quarts of Amsoil. Was told by our local ATV/Motorcycle shop that it's the best brand to get after I asked him about it.

So, to the point. Was wondering, if I just wanted to premix my oil and gas to make sure nothing goes wrong (like me forgetting to check the oil ), what would I premix it at? Is the 40:1 premix stated above good enough for running, or does it need to be higher, or lower?

Also, what is the torque specs for the top end of the engine? Does anyone have these numbers?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

40:1 is what I have heard is the mix to use if you premix. I mixed my first two tanks after rebuilding my top end and bought extra plugs. I did this to make sure that the oil injection was working, as the bike was not running when I got it, swapped the plugs out when they became somewhat fouled. I run the oil injection now and use very little oil from the tank. It is pretty efficient because it delivers oil when needed if adjusted properly. There is also a warning light that is supposed to light up if your oil level is too low. Just check it when you fuel up.
Head bolts 17-19 ft/lbs, Cylinder 24-28 ft/lbs.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

my 1996 polaris 300 express was running fine the oil injecter pulled out ob the carb so i started mixen the gas in the tank then i road it the one day and all of a sudden it lost power and stalled now when you pull start it it tryes to run but wont start i put new plugs i mix 50:1 just to be safe rebuilt the carb what could be the problem

Old 07-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Did you cap off the small injector nipple on the carb when you started premixing? If you didn't it can suck air and run lean and possibly seize the piston. Plus it may have already started doing this by the time you first noticed the oil nipple had pulled out.Could have been starving for oil.I'd do a compression check to see where you stand. If compression is 115psi or lower,probably best to take the head off and give a look see at the piston and cylinder walls for any scoring.I've had them pull out also when removing carbs for cleaning and just barely pulling on the oil line. A little JB weld around the nipple would usually solve this.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes i did cap both nipples off on the injector and carb i took the head off and there is all kind of gunk on the head and top of the piston as i said before i never trusted those injectors it always ran fine my bendix went in the starter so i had to pull start it one pull every time i heard a sound coming out of the exhaust almost like a dirt bike would sound but it never sounded thast way then i lost powere and stalled

Quick Reply: 96 Polaris Xpress 300 Questions