Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Polaris
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Reply Share this with your friends
Old 02-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default Transmission Popping out of Gear

Hello,

2003 Sportsman 700

I just replaced one of the output bearings in the transmission. The bearing was destroyed, and the transmission was stuck in high gear. I had to take the guts of the transmission out while it was still attached to the front and rear driveshafts, doing this caused the gears to fall and I was not able to see where the positioning of the parts. When I put everything back together and tested it all of the gears work except for high, when I push the shifter forward it will engage in high but as soon as I give it gas it pops out.

Is there mor than one way to install the shift forks? Could installing them wrong cause this issue? Is there any other ideas that anyone has could cause this?

Thanks
Dan
Old 02-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Garage is empty, add now

If the wave springs are not seated properly between the shift fork(s) its possible fork not sliding dog gear properly into hi gear. This is one of the things that can happen. Shift forks are identical,BUT if you install in the wrong groove of the shift drum(if possible?) could be problems,BUT doesnt sound like thats your problem. If you dont have a Polaris shop manual,I would seriously get one if you are going to continue to do it yourself. OPT
Old 02-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for the respose, I do have a shop manual but is not very clear if there is a right or worng way to put the shift forks in. It says to note the position of the forks which I was unable to due to the way that I had to remove the transmission. Im pretty sure that the wave springs are ok because if they arent set correctly the shift forks are hard to put on. I think im gonna take it all apart again to see if i can find anything wrong.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Garage is empty, add now

is that a polaris of an aftermarket manual?
10' massey ferguson tractor
Old 02-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer92184 View Post
Thanks for the respose, I do have a shop manual but is not very clear if there is a right or worng way to put the shift forks in. It says to note the position of the forks which I was unable to due to the way that I had to remove the transmission. Im pretty sure that the wave springs are ok because if they arent set correctly the shift forks are hard to put on. I think im gonna take it all apart again to see if i can find anything wrong.
If this helps some, as you are looking into the trans case with the gears installed,the far back shift fork is on the LEFT side of the shift drum,the one closest to you should be on the right side of the shift drum. OPT
Old 02-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by stendori View Post
is that a polaris of an aftermarket manual?
Its the polaris manual.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by old polaris tech View Post
If this helps some, as you are looking into the trans case with the gears installed,the far back shift fork is on the LEFT side of the shift drum,the one closest to you should be on the right side of the shift drum. OPT

Ok thanks ill look at that when I take it apart
Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

I took everything apart again and snapped some pics, can anyone comment if the shift forks look correct, I just marked the forks, I wanted to mark how I put them in the first time.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

any info, im going to try to put this thing back together again.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Send a pm to Old polaris tech he can probably help.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Reply Share this with your friends

Tags
600, atv, fork, gear, install, installing, polaris, popping, pops, shift, slips, sportsman, trans, transmission, wrong