Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'02 700 Sportsman ignition system replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Kinda hard for my old eyes to see,but looks you have the red wire connected ok to the red wire under the pod,looks like on your model the spare red ties into the other jumper harness that ties into the regulator rectifier. Can be a little tricky. OPT

Old 02-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told the regulator only connects into the main harness, so I'm hoping that part is ok. The red wire from the CDI, I was told, needs to have power to it. I'm going to try to see if the three red wires that are tied together (shown in the photo) have 12v coming from them. If so, then I'll make a connection there and tie it to my CDI.

Up to this point, it wasn't a bad installation. The directions could have been more clear, but I made my way through without too much trouble. The last step, though, has been a nightmare trying to figure out. In talking to three different dealership service departments, I've gotten little more than I mentioned above. Between those guys and OPT, I think I might be able to get the rest.

Thanks for your help on this.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Follow up

I think I figured out what the problem was. I believe my winch is powered from what would normally be the wire I would be looking for. I think the terminal was changed out to a flat spade type and now powers that motor, so I didn't recognize a lead that would fit the jumper supplied in the kit. I left it alone and put a new spade terminal on the end of the supplied jumper and got my 12v key-on power from the three red wire bundle I mentioned earlier in the post. Problem solved, engine fired right up. All wires are tied down and it's back together just in time for this snow storm we are getting tonight.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to replace mine. Any more info I need to make this go smoothly?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh well the new kit from Polaris isn't as good they say it is, I would say this kit on mine is about 2 years old? and it is failing again!, bogging out, running rich and so on, same problem as the last time!

Old 07-30-2014, 05:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by skybolt58
Oh well the new kit from Polaris isn't as good they say it is, I would say this kit on mine is about 2 years old? and it is failing again!, bogging out, running rich and so on, same problem as the last time!
On electrical problems anything can happen,even with the updated kit,but may be a worn needle and seat or other carb problems causing this instead. Especially if it's running rich,plugs fouling,bogging down,etc. I'd check this out,maybe a new carb kit would solve the problem.Polaris Sportsman 700 carb rebuild kit 03-417 Plus just saw your earlier post about finding a carb vent or tank vent blocked when you removed the plastic. Machine doing the same thing again?

Old 07-31-2014, 02:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
On electrical problems anything can happen,even with the updated kit,but may be a worn needle and seat or other carb problems causing this instead. Especially if it's running rich,plugs fouling,bogging down,etc. I'd check this out,maybe a new carb kit would solve the problem.Polaris Sportsman 700 carb rebuild kit 03-417 Plus just saw your earlier post about finding a carb vent or tank vent blocked when you removed the plastic. Machine doing the same thing again?

I brought to a dealer and they said it needed a new CDI and Coil pack? this only happens when Hot??

thanks for the info, but I already rebuilt the carb! wasn't that bad to begin with either?

Old 07-31-2014, 03:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by skybolt58
I brought to a dealer and they said it needed a new CDI and Coil pack? this only happens when Hot??

thanks for the info, but I already rebuilt the carb! wasn't that bad to begin with either?
Not disputing what the dealer told you,but usually the coil and cdi both don't go out at the same time. If you still have the machine,here's a 2005 MV7 manual that has the updated Kokusan ignition,same as the one you have. Easy to check the stator and coil resistance specs to eliminate either one as the problem.Cdi is usually replaced when a stator and coil check out ok as the cdi itself doesn't have a good test procedure.http://gh-ftp.com/ORV%20Manuals/Pola...7%20-%20SM.pdf