Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'02 700 Sportsman ignition system replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info on the tap size and for getting the kit #, as well. I should be able to get back to this Tuesday night if all goes well.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Range Rover

I got the flywheel off tonight. I had a heck of a time. I poured the heat to it for about 20 minutes. That was about as much as I felt I safely could. I kept tension on the puller while smacking the center bolt with a hammer and was certain something was going to break, although the puller is a Snap-On, so I felt good that it wasn't going to be the tool. Nothing broke and the puller and flywheel popped off after several good whacks. The shaft will certainly get a skim of Anti-Seize before it goes back together. I couldn't believe that it stuck that hard on a tapered shaft.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Range Rover

I have the whole system installed, but am unsure about the jumper wires I got in the kit. I sent a PM to OPT, but just in case he is unable to get on the forum right away, does anyone have an explanation of where these go? I seem to be unable to find where one of the single wire jumpers plugs in on the round male end. Acutally, it's a round female with a male post inside of it, so I think that means it's a female. It's the one with the two prongs on each side of it.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SnowDrift
I have the whole system installed, but am unsure about the jumper wires I got in the kit. I sent a PM to OPT, but just in case he is unable to get on the forum right away, does anyone have an explanation of where these go? I seem to be unable to find where one of the single wire jumpers plugs in on the round male end. Acutally, it's a round female with a male post inside of it, so I think that means it's a female. It's the one with the two prongs on each side of it.
The jumper kit is to install to the regulator/rectifier. The red lead goes into the unused red lead at the pod and the other ends adapt to the reg/rectifier. They usually give an extra adapter for different models,causing a little confusion. Just look at the diagram carefully. OPT

Old 02-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Range Rover

Thanks! So, it sounds like I'll be left with one wire extra, the jumper, that I won't use at all. Will all wires in the system be connected to something, then, or will there be one that has nothing to connect to (aside from the extra jumper)? I'm trying to remember, but it seems like there is going to be one extra lead going to nowhere. I guess I'll have to look again when I'm near it.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

On edit to my post, above, it appears I will have the red lead that comes off the CDI box to be left over.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Range Rover

Dealership where I bought the parts cannot help me on this and won't call the Polaris dealer tech. support to get more specific instructions on my behalf. Engine cranks, but I must still be lacking something - I'm assuming it's something to do with the jumpers. Would photos help if I could get some and email to someone that has done this on an '02 model? I'm not sure if I can post them up on this site.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SnowDrift
On edit to my post, above, it appears I will have the red lead that comes off the CDI box to be left over.
The red lead from the cdi ties into UNUSED red lead under pod area,sometimes hard to find!!! OPT

Old 02-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Range Rover

Thanks OPT. I'll do more digging. Here is what I'm faced with. Am I looking for the red wire bundle that is three wires coming together, like in the photo?

Attached Thumbnails '02 700 Sportsman ignition system replacement-s5000004.jpg  
Old 02-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Range Rover

Two more photos of wiring area.

Attached Thumbnails '02 700 Sportsman ignition system replacement-s500000aa.jpg   '02 700 Sportsman ignition system replacement-s5000008.jpg  

Quick Reply: '02 700 Sportsman ignition system replacement