Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PSI pipe and Clutching?

Old 02-24-2001, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the stock exaust system on my 2000 Xplorer,I replaced the stock blue/green spring and installed a green primary spring and was very happy with it.I could VERY easily wheelie in low range with NO effort.

NOW,
with a PSI performance pipe,260 main jet and a black spring,this ATV suddenly turned into a SNAIL from a take off in high range.It now will NOT wheelie in low range either.I changed it back to the green spring,very little differance.

Today,
while at my local riding area,I was in high range.I nailed the throttle at the very BOTTOM of a small inclined average hill,the quad would barly make it to the top of the hill,it felt powerless.I could NOT reach the engines power curve.So next time I tried this hill I started further back from the bottom of the SAME hill,nailed the throttle and I was easily able to let the engine reach its peak and easily made the hill.In low range,the hill is NO challenge.

I lined up in the parking lot with my nephew,he was on my Recon.In low range,I easily smoked him up to 30mph,however,starting out in high range was a whole differant story.THE KID GOT ME OUT OF THE HOLE BY 2 QUADS.When the power of this pipe finally kicked in,I BLEW right past him.WHATS UP?CLUTCHING?

The way I have it figured now in a drag race I automatically give my challenging racer a 2 quad lenght spot,and I dont like it.

I had EBS added to the quad when it was brand new,some say EBS robs your quad of power,some others say not.If I have to resort back to the stock clutching in order to make a clutch kit do its WHOLE job,I will.I cannot stand the lose of my low end and now im searching for my fellow Polaris friends for ADVICE!Thank You,
Bill

Old 02-24-2001, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill, did you decide to keep that pipe from PSI? I know with my setup the only time I can't wheelie in high range is when leaving a rut behind me. Traction is my problem not power! My stock tires are now just about bald in the rear. I'm still trying to decide what to replace them with. I've had Mudrunners before and don't want the weight any sugestions?
I would guess your clutch is still not engaging high enough.

Old 02-24-2001, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, this whole clutch thing is driving me crazy!!! Well like I said in a previous e mail I sent you saying to keep the EBS if you can clutch it, but obviously this can't be done.
If Mr. Ritter can't help you with a spring and weight combination, the only thing I can tell you to do is ditch the EBS.

BTW did you get the scrambler silencer on the pipe?

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 02-24-2001, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

SCRAMdaddy,Rick Ritter is sending the Scrambler silencer back to me,we think with the plumbing he's sending me,we can adapt it to the PSI pipe.Currently,the PSI pipe is still running with the PSI silencer.

MNXPLORER,
I see you have a EPI clutch kit.I had one installed on my 99 Sportsman and I hated it.Alls it seemed to do for the Sportsman was raise its engagement speed a little and cost me a bundle [230 w/installion].Tell me your just kidding me about being able to pull a wheelie in HIGH range with this kit?It looks to me like I may have to ditch the EBS and install the EPI clutch kit on the standard clutching.As for the tires,I had Mudrunners on the Sportsman and now on the Xplorer.I mud alot,so the extra weight does not bother me.

Old 02-25-2001, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Bill, I agree on a Sportsman a clutch kit doesn't do much.But, on a 2-stroke they do! Yes my bike wheelies with ease in high if it gets traction. I have one advantage for tuning most don't have, I have 2 Xplorers and the wifes is bone stock. The only other idea I have on your clutching is HPD. They know have a complete kit out for the EBS sys. I'm sure it is for the Sportsman but , they might be able to help you out with a custom kit.

Old 02-25-2001, 03:44 AM
Pro Rider

I will call HDP Monday morning,thanks,
Bill

Old 02-25-2001, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, Hopefully they can help. Here is there phone # 612-396-3336

Old 02-25-2001, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Bill , The problem you are having is the exhaust system does not allow the engine to make enough horse power to pull you off the start at low RPM's . No big deal , just start raising the engagement. The problem may be by the time you get it to launch hard the engagement may be high enough to be annoying when doing slow stuff like log hopping . I have no idea what RPM this pipe starts *cooking* at . But it should be easy to figure out .

My favorite way to get a peaky pipe to pull better off the bottom is to cut it in half and add an inch or inch and a quarter in the belly section. But I don't think that is something you want to do.

Old 02-25-2001, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,

I hope you get your machine running well again. Xplorers are known for good low end power. When I put an RCR kit on my Scrambler I might put my stock exhaust on my friends '98 Explorer, just to see if it gives it anymore power. It should, and hopefully be quiet. But then again, it may not be right for the powerband. It may become "pippy" and need clutch tunning. Who knows. Has anyone tried this?

'96 Scrambler w/K&N filter & Boyesen Power Reeds

Old 02-25-2001, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

adamnieman, Let me know if the Scrambler pipe fits the Xplorer and works... I have my stock pipe and silencer and wanted to try the same thing. If it could work it might even wake it up more!

Brian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PSI pipe and Clutching?