Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 800 AWD problem, please help.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you don't try to put your bike into awd while its spinning you should have no issues. i had 27" on my 06' as well and have had it many times buried out of site and spinning w/ no breakage.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:04 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you don't try to put your bike into awd while its spinning you should have no issues. i had 27" on my 06' as well and have had it many times buried out of site and spinning w/ no breakage.
So- then let me ask you... I noticed the sticker on the tank telling me not to shift into AWD while the back tires are spinning- does that mean I have to stop everytime I want to shift into AWD, or just don't shift into AWD when the tires are "free" spinning like they would do in mud?

Old 03-23-2010, 04:03 PM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
So- then let me ask you... I noticed the sticker on the tank telling me not to shift into AWD while the back tires are spinning- does that mean I have to stop everytime I want to shift into AWD, or just don't shift into AWD when the tires are "free" spinning like they would do in mud?
beergut,

If I remember correctly the manual will tell you that you can shift into AWD under 3000 RPM (or something like that) and the rear wheels are not spinning.
If it were me, I wouldn't chance it... that roller cage is pretty flimsy at best.

You best bet is just to put it into AWD before you get into any situation that might require it. Plus, I would get a reverse override kit, or do it yourself.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:53 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

If I remember correctly the manual will tell you that you can shift into AWD under 3000 RPM (or something like that) and the rear wheels are not spinning.
If it were me, I wouldn't chance it... that roller cage is pretty flimsy at best.

You best bet is just to put it into AWD before you get into any situation that might require it. Plus, I would get a reverse override kit, or do it yourself.
I'll have to download the manual- all I have is the 300 pg service manual. I usually do shift into awd when I see something nasty up ahead, but I do it while I'm still driving
(maybe 10-15mph). Especially when I'm descending a steep hill with a swamp at the bottom- I loose my engine brake in awd, so I usually keep it in 2wd until the bottom and hit the awd as I'm rolling into the mud. I'm not one of those guys who beats the snot out of the atv trying to get through mud- spinning tires and rocking it for minutes at high rpm, if I can't do it in 25-30 seconds at mid range, I'll winch it out.

I really don't mind the reverse lock out- its never been an issue. It's a hassle for a few minutes while plowing snow and backing up with the blade, but I feel polaris put it there to keep me from overdoing it-

Do you guys stop your popo before putting it into AWD- or just slip it in as you're coasting under no load?

Old 03-23-2010, 05:15 PM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by beergut

I really don't mind the reverse lock out- its never been an issue. It's a hassle for a few minutes while plowing snow and backing up with the blade, but I feel polaris put it there to keep me from overdoing it-
Well, one slip up in reverse when your plowing, and you'll be wishing that you had the reverse override mod.

If it were just a rev limiter that would be one thing... but to engage AWD in reverse... that's another.

BTW, with the XP's you don't have to hold that button down for AWD in reverse... apparently Polaris saw the light.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:29 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

If it were just a rev limiter that would be one thing... but to engage AWD in reverse... that's another.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean...
I don't take it out of awd when I'm plowing to go into reverse, all I do is hold in the button to have my awd stay engaged for the few seconds I'm in reverse- if I let go of the button while in reverse, it goes into 2wd- I'm not sure what you mean by slip up? There's really nothing to slip up... is there

I had assumed all the reverse override did was allow higher rpm in reverse, and allow awd to stay engaged. I didn't think the cage cared whether or not the atv was moving forward or reverse.

Sorry- I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to popo's diff's
I'm looking at the service manual between posts to get a better idea of what you mean

Man- if I could afford an XP- I'd be all over it!

Old 03-23-2010, 05:43 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Ok- I'm getting a better picture now after reading through the 300pg service manual.

to quote the manual:

The AWD switch may be turned on or off while the vehicle is moving. Always switch to AWD while the rear wheels have traction or are at rest. Initially, the vehicles electronic system will not enable the AWD until the engine RPM is below 3100 (correctly stated by you) once enabled, the AWD remains while the front gearcase is moving, it will not disengage until the rear wheels regain traction.
I see the plastic cage you guys are talking about here in the service manual- what you're saying is that JD makes a metal cage that is compatible with this gearcase?
It doesn't look like a fun job, but I'd imagine the only way to switch over to the JD part is to do it myself, since the popo dealer will just use another plastic cage if it breaks...?

So- just thinking about it. perhaps the plastic part is fine, but people who do the bypass to cheat the safety switch are creating a scenario where they are shifting into awd while above 3100 rpm, or while spinning tires in mud above 3100 rpm and hitting the AWD switch making it break- which means the plastic cage is malfunctioning not because it's an inferior part or poor engineering, but rather due to the bypass cheat people are using... just a thought.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

beergut, your right in saying it's when your free spinning(not just going along where there is no excess pressure) is where you get into trouble while trying to go in to awd. i have number of times gone into many holes in 2x4 then got stuck and switched to awd w/ out having any issues w/ the same bike you have also have no issue going into reverse w/ it and pushing the override. granted if your spinning and then hit the overide button, you could have an issue for sure. i also put an override by pass in mine just for that reason.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:34 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The cages usually break if some one is spinning there rear wheels and then puts it in AWD,its the sudden HARD front engagement that is hard on them.

People who , stop first or engage AWD without the rear wheels spinning have much less troubles.

You can still put the atv in awd while moving just make sure the rear wheels have good traction first .