Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Winch Cable or Rope???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Cable or Rope???

Hey just wondering if anyone has switched from cable to nylon winch rope? My reason for wondering this is because I've had problems during the winter with the cable winch line freezing during plowing and I thought maybe this would resolve this issue. Again any and all feedback is appreciated thanks.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I personally would go to the synthetic winch rope. The rope is much more flexible,light weight, does not burr, and is much safer in the event that it breaks. Steel cable under tension can be dangerous as it stores energy that can be released with great fury and injuring any one close as it fly's by. Synthetic retains very little if any energy and when it breaks it usually just falls to the ground. Much better all around IMO.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Trailblazer

I have the synthetic rope awaiting install, I'm just waiting to purchase a new fairlead roller, the kind that's like an aluminium mouth. Of course I have a new cable in which works so syth rope after light upgrades.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Range Rover

My Warn 2500 was a package deal with my quad and it has a steel cable which works fine. If I had to replace it I'd go with the Synthetic - safety being the main issue.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

i just got the synth rope 9' piece for winter plowing and a the plastic roller fairlead. i havent got it yet. i didnt get it for safety issues as the 2ft that will only get used wont be that big of a deal. i got it to see if it will last longer than the steel cable. the way it sounds is it will last longer. but if the rope only lasts a few yrs its not worth the extra cost then ill go back to steel cable and buy a new piece every other yr. before i go out and buy the summer 50ft length ill see how the small piece works.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

Safety is probably my biggest issues with making the switch. Does anyone know a good place to purchase the synthetic rope from? I'd like to pick up one of those rubber savers that go on the winch line and stop the hook from getting into the rollers. Thanks guys for the info.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

ebay for the synth rope and the winch saver. cheapest iv found anyways.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

The best place I've found is on ebay. You can get the amsteel synthetic for about $40-50 and you can also find deals that include a new fairlead for around $60-70. As far as the hook saver goes I made my own for nothing. Just take a beer can,cut it in half,coat the inside heavy with carnuba car wax. Next fill can to desired thickness with fiberglass resin, add hardner and stir vigorously then wait about 30min give or take. After the resin is set and cooled, peel the can away, drill hole in the center for the cable and your done. It makes a really nice keeper for pennys. It's amazing what you come up with when insomnia kicks in.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Amsteel blue synthetic rope from ebay, it is much better than the steel cable for all of the reasons listed above.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

Quick Reply: Winch Cable or Rope???