3-way headlight MOD intermitantly with new Xenon bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3-way headlight MOD intermitantly with new Xenon bulbs

All,

When I added the new Xenon bulbs (Polaris brighter replacement bulbs) when I set to high beam nothing would happen at first (only bottom headlights come on NOT all 3). Then I click OFF and ON a couple times and then all three light up on HIGH. Seems like a glitch!

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks,

R'

Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the diode may not be handling it. Contact Quadavator and ask them. I know they use a beefier diode than the cheap ebay kits. May have to switch to a relay mod.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

good info. when reading former posts when i was researching this, I never heard anyone with any problem. Will do, I will contact Quadovator!

Thx,

R'

Old 09-12-2009, 02:31 AM
Range Rover

Do the 3 way mod with a relay unstead of the diode. I had problems with the reliabilty of the diode I originally put in! SInce putting in the relay no problems.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:51 AM
Pro Rider

Agreed, I'd say the diode is overloaded, and you may need to do the relay version

Old 09-13-2009, 06:56 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

So switching out to this relay MOD does Quadovator carry that? Or do I have to remove my Diode version and manually connect up all these elec. pieces? I know its NO real big deal but it would be nice to remove and insert another product in the same exact place given I can remove it sucessfully. lol

But also what about just snipping off the diode end and connecting the relay piece? Almost sounds too easy!

Thanks in advance for the advice!

R'

Old 09-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Range Rover

Just snip out the diode and add two spade connectors (female) and follow the instructions in this thread from a couple of days ago
http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...light-mod.html
it should take 15 mins. The relay you can get at Your local autoparts store for a few bucks and terminal numbers are standardized.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Well heres a little more to the saga! Greg from Quadovator emailed me this note:

"R,

You’re the first to raise this issue so it’s new to me. Two factors in your description lead me to suspect a faulty wiring issue. Our diodes are rated for more power than this application requires so it’s hard to imagine you’d be exceeding its limitations. The fact that this is an intermittent problem really makes me suspect you have a marginal connection to your stock wiring.

Did you install it with the blue Scotch Lox that came in the kit? I hate those things but most customers won’t take the time to solder connections like we always do here in our shop. If you’re using those blue connectors I suggest you switch to solder and see what happens. If you’ve soldered the connections wiggle them around a bit with lights on to see if one of them may be faulty. Please let me know what you come up with.

Greg "

So it may not be the Diode Vs. the Relay thing. Maybe I will just cross the wires and solder and see what is going on.

Thanks all!

R'

Old 09-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer

toss those scotch connectors junk all the way.. solder and shrink tube only way to go

Old 09-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Range Rover

I tried soldering shrink wrap and all - and still had an intermittent problem with my HIDs. Since installing the relay I've had no problems. I did a rough and rocky 30+ mile ride the other night not one hiccup. Honestly the relay will take the same time (or less) as soldering the diode.

R, have I steered you wrong yet?

Quick Reply: 3-way headlight MOD intermitantly with new Xenon bulbs