Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

550 XP that needs help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 550 XP that needs help

I will briefly explain my two issues and then expand on them later. This is an '09.

1) Stopped at a trail intersection, forget to put it in park and shut it off. Talked to other rider in group. Went to start and couldn't shift out out of HIGH....Had to use hand brake and turned key to start....so no LOW or REVERSE for me the rest of the trip.

2) Got a little deep in a water hole just before finishing (always how it goes). Killed the engine and all.

So the tranny issue I narrowed down to the bellcrank splines being worn out. I already ordered a replacement online, but I am concerned the male piece that sticks out of the tranny has some wear, too. Anyone deal with this before? I will put that $10 aluminum part on first and see how it goes before the next part which is $52. Plus is looks like I have to take the tranny apart to replace that part.

The oil doesn't look milky so that is good. Very little water in air box. Pulled plug and cranked it a few times and water came spurting out. Put it back in, coughed a time or two, did it again with no plug and replaced. Coughed a time or two again. Looking to get new plug today for good measure. Left it out overnight to help air dry everything. Hope to get it running today so that I can change the oil a time or two with cheap oil and fram filters.

Any thoughts or comments you can add? I will check the PVT cover and open drain bolt. I really think I did ok all considered but want to be thorough.

Thanks for any help you can give on either issue I am dealing with!

Old 06-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Shouldn't have to split the case to replace the belcrank. Check for any wide spline on the shaft and line the one on the belcrank up with it.Some do,some don't. Sounds good that you cleared the water from the cylinder ,but I would have sprayed some wd40 or penetrating oil to help disperse moisture also,but may not be necessary. After you get it running awhile,recheck oil for any water contamination. Same thing on the gear case,front diff,etc that water can get into.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 06-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT!

I am replacing the bellcrank, part highlighted by number 17. And yes, I see the wide spline on the shaft that I will use to realign my new part. I am concerned about number 11 being worn, too.

So if I need to replace part 11 on your link, you don't think I would need to split the case?

When I get the new bell crank I will see how it fits on there and check for snugness. The original looks fairly rounded.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the shaft spines are stripped and the shaft needs replacement,then yes the case would have to be split,but that's why the belcranks are made out of aluminum not steel,so that keeps this from usually happening.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Great, I am going to keep my fingers crossed.

Do you have advice on belt wear and when it is time for replacement? Mine is original from the factory still with about 2500 miles. Visually it seems fine, but wanted your opinion. I can probably take a picture and post if necessary.

In the meantime, I am getting all the fluids to be free of water and clean.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

No certain 'time limit" for belt replacement. Some last people for years.Just my two cents on this one. "IF" you're in the clutch area already,machine has 2500 miles,I'd replace it and save it for a back up if half way decent.I know others would possibly run it longer,but working on atvs day in,day out,you get to thinking more about preventative maintenance,plus the fact I hated to have to go back into the same area I was just in. Again that's just me..

Old 06-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

I had done 5-6 oil changes with cheapo house brand stuff before the water came out completely. I have done another 3-4 to be sure, but noticing a "small" amount of sand in the drain pan so I am doing a few more to be sure but everything is running really well with no issues. Then I will put in the Polaris oil and filter and be good to go. Going north to Hayward, WI in early August for a week with the extended family. Will ride through the week and do another drain and fill one last time then. Staying away from the deepest sections of water now!

Got the tranny part on as well and shifting is solid like it was when I purchased the machine. Kind of mind blowing how long I felt like there was a lot of play in there before it really went. I ordered two so I have another one on hand.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

A lot of stress on these little aluminum levers that a lot of people don't think about. I've had em strip,crack and break off,but the trans splines were always in good shape. Glad this fixes the shifting,plus hope all the oil changes heads off any other future problems.