Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Driveline problems on Sportsman 800

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveline problems on Sportsman 800

I'm a new member, and hope to get help with a technical issue from you guys who have had Polaris' before. I have always had a Honda, and never dealt with a CVT tramsmission, so I am a little lost. I have an 08 Sportsman 800 HO, and I really enjoy riding it, it is a great machine. The power is awesome. However, it just recently started having a problem of moving forward when it is idling in any gear. I can start it in gear by holding the brake, of course, but to change out of gear, I have to cut it off, change gears, then restart it. I have no idea what has happened to have made it start doing his, any input would be appreciated. I took off the clutch cover, hoping it would be something obvious, but it is not.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 AM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default creeping?

What is your idle rpm? Should be around 1150rpm at idle. If thats ok check clutch alignment belt should be in middle of primary pulley (crankshaft) Belt edge should not be favoring either side of pulley sheave. Really need clutch alignment tool for this but you can eyeball it too.Check motor mounts loose/broken. Check this tech link out too.

POLARIS and TECH stuff

Old 08-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks UTU. We checked the motor mounts and the idle speed, they are good. I do not have the alignment tool, but the belt appears to be in the middle. My main question is why would this have changed? I have ridden it many times, on trails, in water, in mud, etc, but not to the point of any damage, at least externally. It still looks neartly brand new when I get all the mud off. I have had belt slippage when water entered the clutch cover, and have drained it several times when riding in water, but it always dried right out and I was able to keep going strong. (The leak was due to the clutch cover seal being installed incorrectly from the factory) I do not know why all of a sudden this would happen after working flawlessly in the past. It is almost as if the belt shrunk, but I know they don't shrink.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

UTU - I just went and checked the idle again, it stabilized at about 1300 rpm, would this account for my problem? If so, how do you adjust the idle speed since it is EFI? Again - why would this have changed since my last ride?

Old 08-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

I had this problem once the factory belt was a bit too tight. Shifted better than when it was new after i put a new belt on.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it is idling too high ar 1300 rpms and i think it will engage around 1350 so your close right now. make sure there is a little play around 1/8" in the throttle cable or its too tight and its free when you turn the handle bars.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem on my 08 SP800, the 3rd time I took it in to my dealer,they got a service note from Polaris saying they had problems with the throttle bodies not returning to idle.they replaced mine, no more problems.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 AM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sportsman800
UTU - I just went and checked the idle again, it stabilized at about 1300 rpm, would this account for my problem? If so, how do you adjust the idle speed since it is EFI? Again - why would this have changed since my last ride?
Yes,1,300rpm is too high. You running stock air filter? Could be the throttle plate has a lil crud build up? I know alot of guys that WERE running K&N filters oil residue helped crud build up on the throttle plate resulting in high idle till cleaned up also.Checking the throttle free play (Stendori) also.. Adjusting idle speed is a dealer thing usually. heres how a lil complicated U got a service manual. If still in warranty take to dealer though!

you will need a digital volt/ohm meter, and a sewing needle or stick pin, and a 10" piece of brake tubing (3/16) bent about 3" form the end, (L) the tubing is to adjust the idle screw (on the left side of the throttle body) and you will have to make it fit the double D head on the screw. Back off your throttle cable at the adjustment near the throttle lever, Pull off the seat and RH side panel, Take the foam seal off the air tubes and remove the air box cover, Back off the idle screw so the plate is closed,(maybe 2 turns ccw) Loosen the clamps on the throttle body so you can turn it to gain access to loosen the TPS screw, Take your meter and ground the black lead to the battery ground, Take your pin and push it along the yellow wire in the connector from the TPS, Connect the red lead to the pin, (make sure red lead dosen't get grounded) Set the meter to DC voltage, Turn on your key and check the voltage, (it should read .528v +or-.01v) if not loosen the TPS screw and move the TPS to the correct voltage, tighten the screw and recheck voltage, Once voltage is set, turn throttle body back into place and tighten the clamp, now adjust the idle screw and watch the TPS voltage (it should be adjusted to .710v +or- .01v) Start the machine and let it warm up to the normal idle speed, you may need to turn the idle down some, (manual states idle speed 1150 rpm +or- 100rpm) to get this as close to perfect as possable you may need to set the TPS (primary adjustment) slightly higher than the .528v so your final throttle voltage adjustment is closer to the .710v you may not get a full .710v at the idle speed you want. Now adjust your throttle cable so there is just a little play in it before it moves the plate and lock it down cover it up with the rubber cover and your are finished.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys - I think I will take it to my dealer, that is a little too much for my limited technical skills.

Everything on my 800 is bone stock except wheels and tires, bumpers, rack extenders, shock covers for mud protection, etc - nothing changed related to engine, belt or transmission. I have seen some other chats about getting more power, but you guys are braver than me, this thing has tons of power! Coming from Hondas, it is really noticeable. My only complaint is that it is a little tippy / top heavy compared to my former Hondas - both of them were Rubicons.

I appreciate the input from everyone, it seems like it will be a relatively simple fix - thankfully nothing major here!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by gomer4877
I had the same problem on my 08 SP800, the 3rd time I took it in to my dealer,they got a service note from Polaris saying they had problems with the throttle bodies not returning to idle.they replaced mine, no more problems.
I am a polaris tech and have never heard anything about throttle plates not closing all of the way.

Quick Reply: Driveline problems on Sportsman 800