Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question starting

hey guys i have a quick question??? my polaris sportsman 500 will not start.... when i go to start it the starter engages but it does not turn over??? the other day when i was out riding i blew a belt i got that changed and now it wont go into high either what did i do wrong???? help me out please...

Old 06-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you use the correct belt,put it on so the words are facing out so you can read them? did you make sure to get all the peaces of the belt out of the clutch and is it trying to creep forward in gear while running? can you take it out of gear when its not running/ what year bike is it so people can help better and will it hand pull start?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

It also depends on the year of this unit because they could have given you the wrong belt EBS or no EBS engine braking system. Like above mentioned make sure the letters are facing you and another possibility is that your secondary clutch might need shimming to align with the primary clutch. Misalignement on the clutches will cause the belt to rub on the primary hard enough to somewhat stay engaged. Try placing the bike in Neutral and see what happens. Let me know ok.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default belt

ok will do i actually got it to start but it still wont go into high and is hard to get into reverse also.... what do i need to do about that. it is an 01' also

Old 06-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default belt

ok will do i actually got it to start but it still wont go into high and is hard to get into reverse also.... what do i need to do about that. its an 01'

Old 06-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

So it is hard to shift with the engine off? If so look at the shifter linkage or a possible internal tranny problem. If the problem is only when the engine is running you need to do what they already said..is the belt installed the correct way..where you can read the writing on it? Is there any of the old belt parts possible in the clutchs? Make sure none of the clutch parts are damaged from the old belt shredding. Verify it is the proper belt...

EDIT-Here is a quote from OPT in another thread a few down from this one about shifting problems on 01,02 500's

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Remove linkage ends from shift box,pop shifter back into neutral(with no linkage attached) if shifts from n-hi-r-low properly,JUST loosen linkage ends and turn out OR in to where they just drop straight in to shift box arms. What you have probably done is "hydrolock" shift box because of linkage alignment being out OR trying to shift too fast from one gear to another. I get these all the time!! Also check that belcranks(aluminum arms) on trans are tight and not sloppy or worn on splines.
On another note,the 01 and 02 models would do this the most because of creeping clutches! Trying to shift while machine has pressure on rear clutch and they would lock up the shift box! If this is another of your problems,address this also as you can lock up shift box again! I've had more experience on these two models than I want!! Clutch alignment has (in my experience) been the main cause of this! ANYWAY,try the linkage first to get you going! Good luck OPT

Old 06-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer
Wink shifting

well when i went out there today i started it right up and today i coulkd shift into all 4 gears without a problem but i am going to check the belt anyway just in case...... i dont know what its problem is??????

Old 06-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Trailblazer
Question pull start

also i pull started it and the string smelt like oil and alot of gas is that good or bad????