Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

scrambler1-me=0 clutch help please. $$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scrambler1-me=0 clutch help please. $$$

Trying to get to secondary clutch on 500. Need to remove primary. I tried pulling it off but it wouldnt come. I used a puller and cracked the primary spring cover (6 bolts). This thing is kicking my ****! Do I need to remove anything else other than the main bolt holding in the primary clutch? I know... I bought a manual. And was using it just before I dumped the oil pan all over it. Can anyone give me a fairly detailed how to? Do I need a puller? Is there a c-clip or something? All I want to do is set the secondary spring to a 2-2 setting and check buttons in assembly.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

you need a puller! they can be tough to get off it has never been off depending how old the machine is. ive never had mine off and back in the day i had two clutch pullers for my sleds that i ended up selling when i got out of it. they were pretty easy to get off the sleds.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

something tells me you used the wrong kind of clutch remover. you need one made for polaris atv's. you wont break a thing.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer

Is the secondary clutch beside the primary (other large round thing belts on) or is behind the primary? I dont think I even need to pull the primary to access the secondary but I cant find an answer. I think its the other disc but my brother-in law insists its behind the primary.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

secondary is behind the primary you dont need to pull the primary to take the secondary off. not sure about yours but that disc on my 400 is for the brakes and doesnt need to be removed for secondary work.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer

If the secondary is behind the primary how to I access without removing the primary?

Old 06-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

primary is on the motor and the secondary is the other big round thing the other end of the belt goes around. sorry for the confusion i didnt really mean behind.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

perfect. thank you. Ya Im no einstien. Been through a few honda motors but this auto thing is new. Would read my manual but I tossed it after dumping all my new oil all over it today. Gonna wait till tomorrow to mess with anything else. Will it be pretty straight foward to set it to a 2-2 position?

Old 06-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

What year Scrambler are you working on? If my memory serves me correctly, and it does in the is case, you need the old Polaris puller that works for the Fuji motors. I know being that I have a '99 Scrammy 400 in the garage at the moment, doing a top end rebuild for a friend, and the old Polaris puller is a perfect match for the primary

Old 06-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

I found it. I indeed already removed the secondary clutch in order to remove the belt. Which of course means I broke the front plate on the primary clutch while attempting to remove what I did not need to remove (I know awesome). Well I got the secondary apart. 2 of the 3 buttons are cracked and theres pieces/dust inside. They are all worn and have flat edges. Gonna get new ones tomorrow. The 2-2 setting is obvious so thats good. While apart Im wondering if the spring should be changed out? It looks fine, but Im not sure if a different spring would help with the low end grunt Im looking for or if it just controls backshifting?? Input?

Quick Reply: scrambler1-me=0 clutch help please. $$$