Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08 sportsman 500 clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 sportsman 500 clutch?

I just started have an issue with the machine moving while in gear at idle. I plow snow with it commercially and it has about 2500 miles on it. Up until the other day it was fine now it creeps when you stop. But it only does it sometimes. If you hit the brakes for a few seconds it stops moving and sits there fine but ever now and then it starts moving again. Where should I start to look??? I also have to say that it does see lots of salt also. It does get washed after every night

Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

would be no issue w/ salt as the clutch cover is sealed. i would guess the ebs bushing or the wiber washers in the primary are starting to go bad on it. you need specail tools to replace either of thoe parts on the primary clutch. also check to make sure the engine mounts are broke apart and causing the engine to move whicvh will put the clucth out of alignment causing the same result. imo

Old 02-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the info any ideas on where to find info on replacement of these items?? What special tools would also be required?? Im guessing something to remove the clutch?? Would this also be the same to remove a polaris sled clutch?? Im thinking something is wearing out also would I be able to see the motor mounts being broke? The engine doesnt seem to move anymore than before. If I dont go in to plow tonight I will inspect it a little better tomorrow Thanks again

Old 02-25-2010, 06:05 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you do need to have a clutch puller to take it off yes but its a tool to take the spider apart that is the special tool i'm refering too. you will have to get the parts at the dealers to replace them. sometimes if you kinda pry up on the engine mount so see if they seprated so check for breakage. i think these are the pn#'s you would need.
1520836Asm., Clutch
7556335Washer there is 2 of the washers. hope this helps a little

Old 02-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

thank you sir that helps a lot!!! I just got up from plowing last night again I will check out the mounts alittle later. Im pretty sure it is going to be the bushing and washers. I noticed last night if I held the brake for a few after stopping it would stay still if not away she went.I appreciate your insight and thank you for helping me out!!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Range Rover

You might just want to change the belt first. Clean the sheaves out with compressed air really good. Check to see your secondary clutch is not moving while ideling. My machine started doing this too, and a simple clean and belt change solved the problem. If your secondary clutch is moving at idle, that whats causing the creep. Check out this vid:

YouTube - Changeing belt POLARIS ATV

Old 02-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default clutch

the smooth oneway clutches like yours has usually dont have shim problems like the old style ribbed oneways.I would check motor mounts then clutch alignment and also make sure oneway clutch turns freely.If they are ok look to see if belt is riding against inner or outter clutch sheeve. if its not centered you may have to add or remove shim washers that are behind the driven clutch.even if alignment is ok you may have to change it.A lot of the time the belt is riding against one sheeve or the other to much causing it to creep.I have had to do this reshimming on some machines to get them to stop creeping.