Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Problem starting my Polaris ATV

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem starting my Polaris ATV

I have a 2007 Sportsman X2 500 EFI. Went for a short ride of 3-4 miles, shut off. Came back 2 hours later, turned on switch,Nothing instrument cluster blank! Left switch on and was going to try to pull start when the cluster begang flashing with a Click,Click, Click sound. Tried to pull start , it started and shut right down. Now nothing!

Had battery checked show full charge, changed spark plug even though old one looks like new only 500 miles on machine. Checked ground wires for corrosion NADA!
No lights either any suggesdtions??
Thanks,
Surfcaster

Old 05-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

did you check the fuses in the front box?

Old 05-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

No fuses on the 2007 500 EFI.

Beginning to think it might be a ignition coil problem???

Old 05-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said you checked the ground wires, but did you check the positive cables for a loose connection? The clicking sound leads me to believe you have a bad connection somewhere. Also, I'm assuming you did check the kill switch! LOL! That get's everyone!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with a bad connection somewhere. Yes, I also checked the positive cables, in fact I took emery cloth to all those connections just to be on the safe side. Yep! Also checked the kill switch, I learned about that one many years ago!!

I really appreciate all of your suggestions, hopefully we can figure my problem out soon.

Surfcaster

Old 05-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

Short of tracing all the wires for good connection I don't know. Try PMing Old Polaris Tech. He is a popo mechanic and is often on here. He would have some good advice. Good luck and let us know what you find out so we can all learn from it!

Old 05-31-2009, 08:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK, here's what happened yesterday pm. Trying to make sure all wire connections were tight,
1. I turned the switch on as I was jiggling (sp) the wires also the lights just in case they might come on.
2. After I turned the ignition switch on, about 30 seconds later I saw the instrument cluster start to flash then a sound coming from the coil I believe.
3. I tried to start, but nothing.
4. Turned the switch off then on and waited again, sure enough the cluster began to flash after about 30 seconds for a period of about 2 seconds and then nothing.
5. I finally timed it just right when I waited for the cluster lights to come on, I hit the switch to try to start.

6. after about 3-4 times I finally got it started it ran for a few seconds then quit.
7. I then tried to start with the pull cord and Nothing.
8. I also checked the connection of the spark plug wire to the coil and it is OK.
9. Is there a way to make sure the coil is working properly?

Please accept my apologizes it is sometimes very hard to explain problems in writing, I hope I haven't confused everyone, just trying to get my ride back.

Thanks for all your help. I will be going away for a short while so won't be able to work on it til I get back. PLEASE keep sending your suggestions though.
Best regards,
Surfcaster

Old 05-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Maybe my last post was too confusing.

1. Problems starting my 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI

2. Had battery checked with multimeter it is full charged

3. Checked all wires for loosness and corrosion. OK

4. Latest find. Turn switch on have to wait 30 seconds

before instrument cluster will light up. It will then go

right out. Started once for just a few seconds.

5. ??????????????????

Old 05-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

Did you disassemble the pod and check the display connections for frayed / loose wires or corrosion?. Since it's an '07 it could be that you have moisture in those connections from condensation. And what about the key switch?.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

not sure if this is applicable or not? But after I flipped my quad several times it was hard to start too. NOTHING not even a click. Once I remembered reading about disconnecting battery to reset the ignition system. after that then I heard the clicking and it was only after that I needed to hold in the brake lever to start it (did not before) b/c one of the wired in the pod housing connected to the speedometer was severed. that one took about 20 mins to figure out,. LOL..LOL

So besides inspecting those wires I would dis/reconnect batteries cables too (wait a couple minutes before reconnecting)

R'

Quick Reply: Problem starting my Polaris ATV