Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Horn install complete

Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn install complete

All,

Its been a long journey with all my procrastination, LOL.
But I finally got off my tuff and did something this weekend.
I reached in this small plastic bag of all my electrical parts
and finally installed my ATV horn this weekend. It was a
FUN project and I give all the posters of this forum the
credit with help from previous threads (I can't seem to find
my old one in my searches, ohh well).

I made a hack wiring diagram for any who want to follow,
but it really does work and man this horn is LOUD! Check
out my album and follow the pics, it wasn't hard, the biggest
challenge was identifying a MOUNT POINT for the horn,
I had to fabricate a small bracket piece to attach to the
winch switch box bolt from underneath. Enjoy, any help
needed, let me know!

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563634809IIfOFG

Regards,

R'

Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer

I never really thought about installing a horn on an ATV. What was your motivation? General coolness? Street riding? Getting your wife/GF to hurry up and come out of the house already?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Looks like you did a great job installing it.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

keep it up big R and you'll have to start street riding it. lol dont know how it will hold up too alot of mud/water, but you'll find out.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea, my main motivation is to mess with people. But for application purposes it would of been nice to have sometime ago when this doofus ran came at high speed around the corner on his Yamaha raptor and threw my wife and I to the embankment while we tried to avoid the front end collision. He screamed by and no gesture of SORRY!. I told the wife next time let him smack into our steel brushguard.

Since no power is supplied to the horn until you push the switch no need for the key to operate. I hope not to find out but if rolled and trapped under the horn could be a good way to signal for help if reachable. All kinds of things, but nice for signals and startling people, LOL. As for the mud and water, yea I know, I guess I will FIND OUT, but results from the bad boy are pretty good with mud and water from others testimonials, I'll keep ya posted (no pun)

Cheers,

R'

Old 02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Been wanting to do this also but not got around to it yet. I did put one of those wolo's on my truck. From what I read tho did not sound like would hold up to the elements (mud & water) well. Since it is air operated there is the good chance of pulling gunk in with the air. Keep us posted how well it holds up. I know you will get some looks on the trail. Tried a couple of those push button can types and they did not last. 1 got mudded full and the other got kinda kicked off while maneuvering through a hole.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider

I have horns on both of my machines, you have to to license them in Wyo. They have been on for several years with no problems, bought 12 volt car horns from O'reilly's, mounted the 425's in front of radiator and the 700's is inside the headlight pod, both activated with a one way toggle switch, they are nice to get someones attention on rides.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]Nice work RticKwad, Some of the larger resorts I've rode in DO require that all vehicles (even bicycles) have horns. I think because so many people out walking trails?? I've been wanting to do an install, but I'm trying to find a horn button that mounts on the left handlebar and looks factory, like a motorcycle setup.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Dearlh,

I am told by Greg from Quadovator that he has a elec. mod that will allow you to use
the factory yellow Reverse override button. Not sure how it all will compensate but
I remember him mentioning it was like $30 and that was after the fact I bought all
my stuff. You don't lose any functionality with the Override or Speedo selector.

Downer is my left hand does have to leave the handlebar but I would use it with
judgement, slow riding etc.

Cheers,

R'

Old 02-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]Ya I thought of that, would scroll through your functions whenever you honked but no biggie. I have the reverse overide mode on mine so I don't use the button too much. I'll have to look into that, thanks for the info.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

What's up (R) Nice pic's, that was pretty smart to mount your horn at that location.Did someone help you with that?,maybe you should get some metal netting,mesh or some kind of filter to go over the horn hole,so no mud packs inside there,just a though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horn install complete