Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hand Warmer Wiring Questions

Old 01-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand Warmer Wiring Questions

OK, so I'm trying to wire up my Moose Winter Basic Pack up to my XP. I can easily tap into the winch controller/toggle switch 12V (red) wire and ground (which one black or green?), HOWEVER, is this advisable? If I go this route will the draw from the winch and the Moose heating pack be too much on the that set of wires when I'm plowing?

As an alternative, I could tap into the wires from the PIAA lights, which are direct wired to the battery and therefor not controlled by the ignition/accessory settings. The moose heaters have a 2 hour auto shut-off function, so If I neglected to turn them off....I guess I would be OK.

Or, I could tap into the headlight pod wires and, and or the 12V accessory plug wires in the headlight pod, but the colors are not red/black, so I would need to figure out which color is which.

Also, the Moose instructions tell you to use a high-temp epoxy to glue teh grips back on the bars....do I need to do this...will they slip around if I don't epoxy them back on? I assume if I use epoxy and need to change the grips down the road the handwarmers will need to be replaced.

Ideas?

-mark

Old 01-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

I think the handwarmers draw a maximum of 1.4 amps. You could probably safely add to the winch controller circuit, depending what it's fused at.

You could also add to the light circuit - but would have no fuse protection. I would prefer to have the heaters fused. Also as you note if you used the light circuit the handwarmers would be unswitched - but with the auto shut off - that's not too much of a concern.

Or you could use the 12V accessory power (orange/white and brown). This circuit is switched and fused (20amp).

Old 01-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

Take some pictures ManAtArms I thinking about going with that kit.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer

OK, so the job is done and everything works! They get pretty hot! Especially the thumb warmer. What I like about the Moose unit is the flexibility. 4 zones with 5 setting each....you can control: Grips, Thumb, and Accessory 1 & 2. So when I get my heated seat pad gets in I can easily connect to the accessory connection and have a toasty rear....or connect a heated vest, etc.

I connected the black ground wire to the main ground screw under the headlight pod using a horseshoe connector, and connected the red 12V wire to the orange/white unused connector in the same location. The heating unit turns on and off with the key. I also ran an extra 16 AWG wire from the headlight pod to the battery terminals and tucked it away. This way if the 12V wire I used causes problems I can tap into the 15 AMP fused wire of the battery that the PIAAs use.

I mounted the control unit on the right side of the bars, because the left was too busy with the winch.

Here's some pics:

-mark

Old 01-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the pictures. How easy was it to remove the old grips and install new ones?

Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

Some guys cut the stock ones off but I just pulled like a **** and they came off...

John

Old 01-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

hi. the easyest way to get the grips off. air compressure ! take a blow gun. stick it in or by the hole in the end of the grip. put you finger over the other hole. and blow. they will pop right off. i also added a fuse block to my 500ho and taped powere from the 2 think they were orn.white wire under the front nose cone. this way all the fuses are easy changeable, and away from any damage. i have my heated handgrips, thumb warmer, winch ign, 911ep ls12, 6 911ep led stars, and am planning on a brake tail/kill or something on the last spot on the fuse block. here are some pics.
Name:  DSC00491.jpg
Views: 4454
Size:  172.1 KB
Name:  DSC00469.jpg
Views: 17238
Size:  185.8 KB
Name:  DSC00553.jpg
Views: 9483
Size:  110.8 KB

yes i know mine is a 500 not an xp

Old 01-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer

I used an air compressor with about 60 psi to get the grips off....you need a blower attachement or the like, campbell hausfield (sp?) makes one. Insert in one end, plug up the other side with your thumb and give it a blast....it will inflate and pop right off. I also used the air compressor to re-install the grips...same principal in reverse. It makes it easy to install, it just inflates and slides on easier. The epoxy made it interesting..it wanted to spatter with the compressed air, but I didn't use that much so to it wasn't too bad.

The most time consuming part was the electrical connections.

-mark

Old 01-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info and pics mark. I am thinking of getting the moose kit.

On another note, how the h@ll do you guys keep you machine that clean? Have these machines hit the trail? I clean mine real good -imo - after a ride but these are spotless.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

what amp fuse you guys running for your heated grips? I just installed my moose winter pack as well, but don't have an inline fuse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hand Warmer Wiring Questions