Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 700 Sportman no spark help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 700 Sportman no spark help

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]OPT was right on diaognosing my problem,(coil pack) this past summer. $345.00 installed at the stealer. Thanks again OPT

Old 01-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh ok thanks for the input. Did yours have the same problem as mine?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]Yep, ran fine, parked it then next time just spun over with no spark. Good gas, new plugs, filter still nothing. Reluctantly, took it in to dealer. Sure enough was the coil pack OPT described. Runs fine ever since, good luck with yours.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

cool thanks for the info. looks like I need to order the part.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 03Polaris700Sportsman

cool thanks for the info. looks like I need to order the part.</end quote></div>

Best to double check FIRST connections,stator specs! Electrical problems not always clear cut. I gave you what happens the most with my experience! Dont cuss opt if you order and happens NOT to be the problem! Good luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK Found it sorry about that. Update. I also posted this in another forum but cant find it right now. OldPolarisTech told me to check the coil and if it was ducati made in italy that was most likely the problem. I orded one and waited months because it was backorded. Well got it yesterday and installed it and now it purs like a kitten. I also replaced the plugs as well because they looked fouled out from the speratic spark and then no spark at all. So thanks again for all the replys and a special thanks to OldPolarisTech for the heads up on the coil.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 03Polaris700Sportsman

OK Found it sorry about that. Update. I also posted this in another forum but cant find it right now. OldPolarisTech told me to check the coil and if it was ducati made in italy that was most likely the problem. I orded one and waited months because it was backorded. Well got it yesterday and installed it and now it purs like a kitten. I also replaced the plugs as well because they looked fouled out from the speratic spark and then no spark at all. So thanks again for all the replys and a special thanks to OldPolarisTech for the heads up on the coil.</end quote></div>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] This is to ALL owners of early 600-700 Sportsmans!!! ALWAYS check stator out first as stator has been changed!! If you just order the coil pack and is not the problem,then MOST likely stator! Comes as a kit with new stator,flywheel,CDI,coil,and regulator/rectifier and harness adapters for reg/rectifier! Changes from Ducati ignition to KOKUSAN (Japanese). MOST of the time is the coil pack,BUT if you are wrong,dealers wont take the 220 buck part back! Guess they still have plenty of coil packs left over and plan on selling ALL of them before substituting to stator kit only!! Kit is $439 retail!! JUST installed one today! Not cheap! Good luck OPT

Old 10-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Question 2003 sportsman 700 no spark!

How accurate is the factory Polaris Manual, I have a 2003 Sportsman 700 and the spec for the Exciter coil is 34vdc peak and I am only getting 18vdc. Should I just go with the whole ignition system replacement as it still has the Ducati cdi box?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you have the factory manual then look at the schematic at the back and in a small block shows the resistance readings for the stator and coil pack. Knowing what I know now I would go for the kit,a little pricey(a little over $400) but a better overall system,plus as I stated earlier if the coil pack is not the problem you will have to go to the new system anyway.Over all considering you get the stator,flywheel,coil and separate cdi,cheaper this way than trying to replace the same components in a 500 or a 325 engine. Coil packs are little over$200. OPT

Old 07-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Old Polaris Tech for your advice on the Polaris Sportsman factory ignition kit. I had two 2003 Sportsmans a 700 and 600 both die with no spark in the same week. Completely freaky. I checked and I had Ducatti systems on both of them. So I took your advice and ordered the complete Polaris factory upgrade Kokusan kits with the new stator. Cheapest place was Babbits in Michigan just over $400.00 complete. Installed the kits and the machines started instantly. They run much better, better throttle response and never started and idled better. Much improvement. The old Ducatti systems I took off the machines you can see are cheap made and junk. I am an electro-mechanical engineer by trade and I can see the component quality and design is inferior to the new system. I am a little disappointed a great company like Polaris install such a crappy system on an otherwise superior quad. Anyway, if anyone is on the fence to just buy the Ducatti coil pack to just get by, DON'T. Pop the extra money and put the full kit on. You will be money ahead in the long run. The coil pack will pop again. They did not fix the quality inside the old design. You will need a special flywheel puller to get the flywheel off. I bought the three bolt Heartland universal one off Amazon for 40 bucks. Worked perfectly. Good luck everyone. Just follow the directions, use hand tools and a torque wrench to set the flywheel nut.

Quick Reply: 2003 700 Sportman no spark help