Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

01 sportsman shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 sportsman shuts off

Good question... I had a time with that myself... lucky for you, I've done it. The bad news is that did a little research for you and I cannot be absolutely sure that I am pointing you at the right thing since the 2001 does not have something called "speed limiter" or "rpm limiter". What it DOES have, which looks suspiciously like the reverse speed limiter, is #29 in the image below, which is called the "RECTIFIER/REGULATOR,LR-35". If it has a black wire coming from it, unplug it and see what happens.

As for exactly where it is on the bike, it is "under the hood". By hood, I mean that piece of plastic body work that the high beam headlight is mounted in. If you take that body work off, you will see that stuff in the image below.

Let me know if you still are not clear on where it is and I'll try to clear it up some more. If anyone can verify that #29 is the "speed limiter", that would be helpful.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

I looked on my sportsman and #29 appears to be the voltage regulator?? Not sure, mabey Im wrong, Cant find anything else in my headlight pod besides the speedometer, key switch, gear indicator, and choke assembly. any other Ideas???

Old 01-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

there is a rev limiter but i have looked at schematics too and cant find one. it is usually right beside the cdi box. only has 3 wires going to it.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: G8TR FAN

I looked on my sportsman and #29 appears to be the voltage regulator?? Not sure, mabey Im wrong, Cant find anything else in my headlight pod besides the speedometer, key switch, gear indicator, and choke assembly. any other Ideas???</end quote></div>

I would not expect it to be "in" the headlight pod... it would most likely be mounted on the frame "under" the headlight pod.

I'll do a bit more looking, but if eggenz can't find it and you don't get any other replies here, I would suggest maybe calling a shop that works on em' and just asking them if they can tell you where it is.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Range Rover

Ok, first, I have a sneeky feeling that the reverse speed limiter might, just might, be built into the CDI unit on your model... is that possible???

The CDI is #16 in the diagram of your magneto below (EDIT: of course, you know that if you already tried unplugging the black wire from your CDI):

Second, take a look at this post:
http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75856

Hope this gives you some more leads. Please keep us updated on what you find.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem it was very frustrating, if you look under the hood just under the light pod you will find three black rubber little packets. (they are about the size of a small mars chocolatge bar). Inside each packet there is a self resetting fuse.. over time water seaps in the rubber package. The leads to the fuse will corrode then when the connections are cold they make contact but when the bike warms up the contacts expand and break the connection, then 10 minutes later wnhen it cools they contract and make contact again..... the good part is that you can replace these fuses for about $5 bucks each at princess auto or any auto parts store...

hope this does it!!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

OK, Talked to a mechanic at the stealership, and heres what he said. There is no reverse/ speed limiter per say, it is built into the speedometer. Does anyone else know if this is true?? Mabey hes right, Though he didnt seen the smartest.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:01 AM
Trailblazer

Well I sent my stator to canada to be rebuilt, The called me last thursday to say my ign winddings were bad annd they rewired the whole stator. its in the mail now being returned so I'll keep everyone posted on if its fixed or not.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

Well I reinstalled my stator and cranked it up,,,,,,, for the first time it ran for an hour and a half without shutting off,,,, It was great!, but wwhen I had it all apart I noticed my drive belt was in need of replacing so I ordered a new one and it is in the mail. If this truly makes my sportsman trustworthy again,,,, I am going to be 1 happy camper.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

yea like he said ... i had a late 80's kawasaki bike and battery acid driped onto some wires... took me almosst a year to figure it out.. it would drain my batt down so i had to push start it... but it sounds like yours still started after the kool down

gl

Quick Reply: 01 sportsman shuts off