Starter stuck-HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 05:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter stuck-HELP

Sorry about the long post-
I'm having a bizarre problem that I'm hoping one of you can help me with:
Last night I was plowing with my 2006 Sportsman 700 when I noticed a whining noise when idling. Several minutes later it dawned on me that it was actually the starter turning. I turned the ignition key off (lights turned off) but the starter kept turning for a few more seconds, then stopped abruptly.

A few minutes later, I tried to restart but it was dead. Lights powered on but no starter, no click or noise of any kind. I pushed the quad into the garage and charged it overnight. This morning the voltage was 12.5v, but the results were the same (no starter or click). The lights come on fine.

About 2 weeks ago I installed hand warmers and connected the positive and negative leads to the 12v utility plug (cigarette lighter) wires (orange-positive, black negative). I used scotch-lock connectors and they have been working fine. I have plowed several time without any problems, but last night I was definitely working the machine harder and longer. It was also windy and cold (10 degrees with 30mph winds).

I recall hearing about an ECM recall for this machine?
Could this have anything to do with it?
Is the solenoid fried?
Is it possible that the starter is ruined?

We're supposed to get dumped on over the next couple of days and I'm not looking forward to shoveling out by hand.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Forgot to add that I pulled the solenoid to see if it I could replace it. I've never "jumped" a solenoid and pulled it before reading how to do it on this forum. Is it possible to test it off the quad? I do have a multitester. thanks

Old 12-24-2008, 06:12 AM
Pro Rider

Mornin russet
Not sure what quad you have but I had a problem with my 06 500 X2 with the starter shorting out. Heres a link to the story with pictures.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Last year I noticed that the key on my 600 was getting stiff. Thought it might be ice but then I found that when I hit the start position and then released the key, it would stick in the start spot with the starter still spinning. Turned out that the switch was fried internally, causing all kinds of problems.
No pull start on the twins......

Old 12-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help so far. The solenoid is definitely fried-I jumped it and it starts fine. Still not sure why the starter was turning. I'll take the airbox off today and look for shorts. (THanks Hobble)

Another question: the polaris dealer wants about $50 for a new solenoid (Trombetta). How critical is it to use the OEM solenoid? Would a standard 4 post automobile solenoid work? Lowe's has a Trombetta solenoid for riding mowers, but it has 2 large posts and one spade for $9

Old 12-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the starter kept on turning because the power wire to the solnoide was still powered i would guess when you let off the key. i would test the small power wire w/ the key on and then off to make sure the power to the small wire which activates the solnoide is working and shutting down power when the key is releases so you know it wont happen again. i beleave i have read some where people have replaced the solnoide w/ a lawn mower one and it works. it is only used to route power to the starter so it might be fine. i would check the switch for sure to make sure it is not faulty imo.