Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Plowing snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plowing snow

SO I have an 05 SP500 HO, just hooked up winch and plow.

Wondering what I can can expect?

I mean how well do ATV's push snow?

I've got no wieghts or chains but this wheeler weighs a heckuva lot more than my garden tractor.

we've got about 2 ft of powder, I'll be starting out of a garage on a paved driveway and the front of the garage is bare.

Thanks everyone. This forum has been extemely helpful. I hope I can contribute more sometime as I get more experience.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plowing snow

man are you in for a treat,YOUR GONA HAVE A BLAST!!!

Old 03-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plowing snow

2' WOW.I start at full angle at one edge, push it far off as I can so you have room for more. Then push the rest into it. Keep it in low range wit AWD on of course. There has been only 1 time where I could have used chains in 10 years of plowing.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!
Default Plowing snow

i used to plow snow all the time with my bayou 300 4x4, no chains and it did a real good job. just make sure you plow it super wide. or else the banks will get too hard to move if you get more snow and theres no room for it.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plowing snow

Adding to whats already been said, you can "stack" the snow fairly high, higher than the ATV easily. Once you get the snow as close to the borders of your driveway as you want to get, position the blade straight on and raise it about 6 inches off the ground. You can approach the banks at a slight angle (10 degrees maybe) at a slow speed and accelerate into them once you're really close. The blade will start to push the snow back and the front tire closest to the bank will start to ride up the snow beneath the blade and will effectly raise the plow blade even further. If you do it right, you'll end up riding up the snow bank and start stacking the snow. I'll try to find a pic that shows my snow banks this year.

ADDED:

I put links instead of embedded pics because they are larger in size.

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3

PIC 4

PIC 5

PIC 6

PIC 7

PIC 8

Old 03-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Range Rover
Default Plowing snow

First time I ever owned an ATV and I thought a plow would be a nice add-on. 51 centimeters of snow so far and its been a breeze. Still learning how, but its fun....

Old 03-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plowing snow

i like the idea so much i put on on my 500 scrambler 2/4 its fun but i can't puch a major lot but i can do whatever is around hear in norther new jersey. i make a lile bigger than the atv in the middle of the road dooing my neigbors drive way at teh end of a coldsack and then i push it into the end or the rooad a good 15 feet loong pile the same size as the atv so i have to grab a lil from the side at a time too push it to the end.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Range Rover
Default Plowing snow

That was fun. PLowed it all up nice. ATV has no problems pushing the snow around.

Thanks everyone for their input and help.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plowing snow

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Elimin8r

That was fun. PLowed it all up nice. ATV has no problems pushing the snow around.

Thanks everyone for their input and help.</end quote></div>

like to see it worked and you had fun. do you have heated hand grips or hand gaurds? it makes it alot nicer. i have both but the wires fell of the heated hand grips switch and i didn't replace them yet.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Plowing snow

Just joined the Forum today. so far very informative. i have an "06 Sportsman 500 EFI with a ploaris 2500 winch. i purchased and mounted a Swisher 60" plow. the only trouble i have is the Battery going dead when i plow for more than an hour or so. is there a way to beef up the charging system or add a second battery to prevent the winch from cutting my day short?

Quick Reply: Plowing snow