Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

still won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still won't start

2000 Magnum 325 4x4

I have been trying to get this machine started, and I need help on where to go next. I can use the electric start and get a cranking noise, but it never turns over. The manual start doesn't work at all. So far, I have drained the gas, and put new in. The battery isn't new, but starts another Magnum 325, and has been on a trickle charge over night. New spark plug. I am thinking that the problem is electrical. How do I check the starter and battery cables. Someone told me to use a volt meter to check for voltage drop between the battery and starter, but I can't even find the starter (the shop manual is no help here). If that isn't it, any other ideas? I also want to change the fuel filter, but the manual says i have to take out the tank. How hard is this? Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

when you say the engine doesnt turn over, do you mean you get a clicking noise when you hit the starter button or key? try by passing the solnoide w/ the key on by jumping the 2 big cables on the solnoide to see if the starter engages. if so then the solnoide is bad but if it still just clicks and you know the battery is good then the starter is the issue.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

it's more than just a clicking noise, like it wants to turn over, but just isn't getting there.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to find the starter folllow the other red cable that comes off of the solenoid. one of them will go back to the battery. the other one will go straight to the starter. your probably going to find out the starter needs to either be rebuilt or a new one put in its place. they are not very hard to rebuild as long as you pay attention to what your doing. look for a rebuild kit on ebay. usually around 20-30 bucks versus 100-125 for a new starter.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:47 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like a starter issue for sure then.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

i found the starter (the cable attaches in the middle of the long side). do you think i can get it out from the side, or do i have to come at it from the top? also, do you know if there is a way to test it before i get into taking it apart? thanks.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first try to spin the starter with your fingers. if you cant easily spin it then there is too much drag. either needs some lube in there or something is freezing up. if you can spin it with your fingers then try to hook it up to either the battery on your atv or a lawn mower battery. dont use a car battery because there are too many amps there for the starter to just free spin without a load. do not let the starter just sit. u must have a hold of it or have in it a vise when you apply juice. i learned taht the hard way. not fun to see a starter spin across the shop. if the starter does in fact spin with the battery then it probably isnt your starter. i would tear into it anyways just to put a little grease on the bearings and bushings and to check on the brushes. when taking it apart the only thing you have to watch are the brushes. some starters have spring behind them that can fly out when you take the rear cap off. just pay attention to what your doing and where the parts go and everything will go smoothly

Old 10-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.