Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Drive Clutch Removal 425 Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Clutch Removal 425 Magnum

I need to pull the Swing Arm to replace the bushings (swing arm has side to side play). I cant get at the left side swing arm bolt because it's behind the plastic Clutch Housing backing plate.

I pulled the Clutch Cover and Driven Clutch, no problem. How do I get the Drive Clutch off? I'm assuming I need to pull these items in order to get the Clutch Housing Backing Plate off in order to get to the Swing Arm bolts. If there's another way, I'm all ears on how.

Here in Tucson, no dealer had the Shop Manual (or any of the parts I needed), so I ordered it all from Cheapcycleparts. It'll be a week before I get it. I thought, hey it's just a swing arm, how hard can it be? Well it's amazing how much stuff one needs to pull in order to get this done.

Any overall help on the procedure to get the swing arm off would be appreciated.

BTW, my previous post regarding 'popping' and 'clicking', possibly comming from the Center Tightner, turned out to be chains that were way too loose. Tightened everything up, and all is now running just fine.

This 96 quad has just been bullet proof, it's amazing. All I've ever done is change the oil religiously and keep all the grease fittings greased.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Range Rover

The front clutch assembly is very easy as long as you have the correct tool. Once you remove the bolt in the center, the outside diamerter of the bolt hole is treaded. Not shore what size but it is a fine thread. Basically you need a bolt about 6-8" long that treads onto the clutch with the first 3-4" of tread removed. The non treaded part with push on the crank shaft and the treaded part will push off the clutch. It will not seam like it is doing much till it just pops off. Sorry i can't tell you the size bolt. just happend to have the center piece of a rarmonic ballencer puller that worked.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info.

I found that one of my gear pullers fit perfectly. I was able to pop it off just as you indicated.

One more question, my Drive Clutch Assembly did NOT have a center bolt. I bought the bike new in 96 and other than changing the Belt it's never been worked on. So if it's missing, it was missing from the factory. My Driven Clutch Assembly did have a center bolt.

Cheapcycleparts.com microfiche blow up doesn't show a center bolt either. The crank shaft end is threaded for a bolt, and I imagine I'm gonna have to have one to get the Drive Clutch seated again. I cant believe it has stayed on just through a press fit all these years, but it has.

Is this a part missing from my particular quad, or did some not have a center bolt.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Range Rover

I have no clue. but i'm pretty sure there should be one.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Range Rover

I would think there should be a bolt......Look it up as you were pricing out parts and see if the bolt is in the parts list is the best way I would think to see if it should.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

when you say gear pully did you mean the 3 or 4 jaw type that grabs the outside of the gear to pull it off? if so thats a bad idea. those clutches are aluminum which means they are easily bent with the amount of force required to take one of those clutches off. they could either bend the clutch or mare it up pretty could. just a word of caution for next time

Old 10-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

No. I went through my gear pullers and it turned out that the center shaft of one of them was long enough and the correct size/thread pattern for the inside of the Drive Clutch thread. It basically worked the same as the OEM puller. I just got lucky.

Still don't see a bolt in the center of the Drive Clutch on any 96 4X4 Magnum Parts Listings. But It's just a bolt with a washer. I'm sure I can set something up via a trip to the nut and bolt store.

Thanks for the info from everyone.