Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Walmart sealed batteries

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Budman650

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dearlh

[IMG][/IMG]Funny this topic came up now. Just this afternoon I was at my dealership talking to service about my atv. He said if you use any other aftermarket battery other than a Polaris oem, they will start causing electrical problems. He had no explaination why just that they see this problem alot. I'm doubtful as long as you have correct voltage. But then again, My friend has a "04 500ho, he put a AGM Batteries Plus battery in last fall then last month while we were riding everything went dead. Hot electrical smell up front, cdi box?? was melted and he spent $130.00 to replace it. I have that same battery in mine since early june, now mine is not starting (firing) not sure yet if I have fuel or spark issues. Anyone ever heard this before??????? Thanks</end quote></div>

I'm surprised OPT didn't reply to this unless he thinks it's just hogwash.

A battery is used for starting and supplies enough voltage for starter, spark, etc and the charging system kicks in with regulator and supplies more voltage than the battery, so there must have been a different problem.

This sounds like car dealers when you bring your car in for service and they ask what mods you did. Seems you can't even change the tire size these days without them denying a claim. One time they asked if I installed a K&N filter and the MAFS wouldn't be covered. I now keep all OEM filters for my vehicles and pull out the K&N when I bring a vehicle in for warranty.</end quote></div>

Its not the voltage BUT wrong amperage than can cause problems! Thats why NEVER jump from a car battery while running,CAN cause problems! Same thing applies on replacement batteries, thats why they make a thousand different ones for different applications!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If dearlh had a charging system problem with the wrong amps being put out then that would be a problem with the charging system, not battery as the dealer suggested. If the battery was too low cca rated, then most likely the starter would burn out. I've never heard of someone putting in a higher cold crank amp battery and burning anything out unless the fault of something else in the system!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Too much amperage CAN and will cause electrical problems,not necessarily with starters,but SENSITIVE elec components! Have had it happen. I had one guy put a lawnmower battery in a 95 SL750 watercraft and fried everything in the control box! It takes a 16 amp battery,not a 30 amp battery! Same applies to atvs. cdis can fry,regulator/rectifiers can short out,undercharging or no charging or even over charging. Just not work the risk.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:57 AM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]Yep I run a battery tender always as well, maybe that's why I got 5 years out of my oem battery even with running all my other electrical acc. and winch while plowing. As far as aftermarket ones go, I have the exact replacement battery shown for my model in the book and it cross references with the other mfg. #'s so I'm sure I have the right one. I think my dealer guy just says s&%$ like that cause THEY want to sell you a battery.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:01 AM
Range Rover

I would like to know from OTP what he thinks of "jumpboxes"? I completely agree with you on the amps. Amps; This is how much electricity flows to the corresponding receiver. Volts and CCA don't mean a thing as far as how many amps the corresponding parts are meant to receive.

What about jumpboxes, I would believe that they are not good for jumping as well. ???? But they are the most effective!!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Dealers all say the same thing , that O.E.M. are the only way to go after all that money in their pocket ; i've tried Sears Die Hard batteries and they weren't cheap with only a 90 day replacement that didn't last over a year before needing a replcement !

The last battery i replaced in my old 86' Honda TRX350 4x4 and a 93 Suzuki LT4WD 300 KQ with a battery from Auto Zone , and they were still starting the quads 5 yrs. later ; i just used a battery tender when they would sit up for 3 to 4 weeks or more and they both still start for my brother i sold them to and the Honda has a Super wintch thats used a lot !

My 2006 AC 400 Auto FIS 4x4 stills has the original battery and sits up some time a month at a time in between rides , but today i tried to take a ride and it started once and stalled and wouldn't restart ; so i put the battery tender on it for a slow overnight trickle charge i'll see if it starts in the morning !......

Old 08-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

There must be something sensitive with the cdi unit, rectifiers and amps. Sorry for the mis-info. I've always put larger batteries in my vehicles, boats and even multiple batteries in the rv. The gen set in the rv has never had a problem with 3 12v deep cycle batteries wired together. Here is some reading material.
http://www.indiacar.com/infobank/battery.htm

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq7.htm

Old 08-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: deerwagon

I would like to know from OTP what he thinks of "jumpboxes"? I completely agree with you on the amps. Amps; This is how much electricity flows to the corresponding receiver. Volts and CCA don't mean a thing as far as how many amps the corresponding parts are meant to receive.

What about jumpboxes, I would believe that they are not good for jumping as well. ???? But they are the most effective!!!!</end quote></div>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]Very articulate! What I wanted to say,but just and old opt and not smart enough to verbalize! Jump boxes are used to deliver Rangers and Razors with no batteries! ok to use,JUST dont disconnect while running! havent had any problems so far,but I dont take anything for granted anymore!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

This was the answer I received from the director of engineering at Yuasa batteries;

No problem as you can't have too much capacity in the sense that
you will damage a vehicle or the vehicle's electrical system. What you
may have is a situation where you spend more money for larger battery
(higher capacity) than you actually need. The larger battery may not
necessarily last any longer then a smaller battery. However, additional
capacities (cranking and reserve) can be helpful where addition
electrical accessories are added to the vehicle or where operating the
vehicle in extreme cold environments.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I agree ONLY partially what the engineer says,just as I agree only partially sometimes with our Polaris engineers,BUT they are not the ones that see the melted components or have to replace them.