Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

01 polaris trailblazer 250 a good reliable quad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 polaris trailblazer 250 a good reliable quad?

I have a kawasaki mojave 250, and my buddy wants a quad. We found a polaris trailblazer 250, 2001, for $1000, but i do no know anything about the polaris quads, they seem to be a whole different breed with their automatic transmission and their 2stroke and I alwsays hear about 2strokes having problems and you have to rebuild the top end all the time. Is this true with the trailblazer? Or is it reliable. We will be ridin trails in the mountains, so its constantly low rpms since were on hills all the time, and i know 2strokes love to rip wide open, so would he be fouling plugs every day or what? Also, does that thing have any *****? will it keep up with us? I ride a hoped up mojave and 2 of my buddys ride warrior 350s (i can beat both of them), a 400 ex, and a suzuki something. IS the quad going to be reliable and worth it? Or does it seem like a toy with the auto trans? Let me know and if its good well go pick it up today. Thanks alot guys.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Trailblazer

Oh ya and I read about water getting in the cvt or whatever on the belt, so does that mean he cant go through water? Half of our day is spent at the mudhole which is giant puddles and lots of mud. Last sunday i was stuck with mud up to my fenders, took two quads (one with 4wd) and 2 of us pushing to get it out. Is there an easy way to extend that vent?

Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi I have a 99 300 and it gets over a 100 hours use a year our terrain here is a little flatter but we still have some steep hills. It has never been rebuilt but is now due--it sounnds a liitle slappy but still runs well. as for power it has a clutch kit which is easy to instal and keeps rite up or better than my o8 500 sportsman. As for the belt getting wet all you do is stand the bike on front bumper and it drains(its a 2 stroke so nothing bad happens) Both the carb and cvt intakes are under the tank cover so you can take on water upto about 2"below fuel cap or extend them using abs---mine go out near handlebars and about as high. This bike should have a low range which makes it very powerfull on hills and in mud. Hope this helps

Old 08-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the vent goes up pretty high, up on the top of the gas tank basically

I have a scrammy 400 4x4

The TB should be at least as fast as a stock warrior

The machine only has high range, which is fine, but you are going to have to
convince it to go up hills.. no putting along in 1st gear,
you are going to want to run it up the hill.. and yeah, it will climb it as
long as your friend has the spine to do it.

the polaris 250 is very reliable, If it hasnt been rebuilt,
you will want to put a wiseco piston in it, b/c I have heard of the stocker
ceramic pistons breaking.. but it probably wont be a problem.

If you do get the tranny wet.. just gas it for a bit in neutral, it dries it out.

you can also do insane amounts of work to that quad,
including putting a clutch kit in, so its better at slow speed power, like hill climbs

check out rittercycle.com and hpd-inc.com

Old 08-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Trailblazer

What does a clutch kit do? Is it still automatic with a clutch kit? How long do 2stroke motors last before you have to rebuild them and what does a rebuild consist of? How much does it cost and is it a process you can do yourself or have to take it to a dealer?

Old 08-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Range Rover

A clutch kit will have stiffer springs for more bite, but it probably won't need it. If the clutch is a little weak, replace the ramp buttons for $20. I have a '97 Trail Boss that would probably climb a tree If I had the ***** to try. My Polaris Dealer DOES NOT recommend Wiseco pistons. He's been straight-up about everything else so I believe in his experience. Your Kawasaki will not be able to hang with the Polaris, on the trail or in the open. ' just a friendly heads-up!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

The dealer I go to will only use Wiseco on the blazers for rebuilds/bores.

Do you know the previous owners? Knowing the history of maintenance and riding habits will be a big plus.

Knowing what the 01 models are selling for around here, I'd have to think it's gonna need something. Could just be bodywork and bumpers, could be motor or transmission work.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

so its faster and better on the trails than the warrior 350 too? Because i beat the warriors np, and theres a 98 warrior 350 for sale for 1200. Polaris or warrior?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

they should be about even Id think, stock 2 stock

Wiseco pistons are great, ive had one in my scrammy since 2000 (probably longer)
and its never failed, and has not needed to be rebuilt since

the 2 stroke is a simpler engine than a 4, and is cheaper and easier to rebuild.

Would probably just consist of new piston and rings, maybe a cylander hone (smooth it out)
gaskets / seals

make sure you keep that oil tank filled!

Old 08-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

Have you ever ridden a snomobile?
Thats what its like riding a polaris 2 stroke (or any of there other quads,)

you slam the gas, and it takes off running without skipping a beat, non stop accell untill you back off the throttle

its basically a snomobile on wheels

Quick Reply: 01 polaris trailblazer 250 a good reliable quad?