Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Battery Charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:53 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Charger

Can't help you with that one. Dealer swapped mine as part of the deal.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Charger

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

[
leave my batteries fully charged and filled in the winter in 0 degree weather untouched or un started and 5 to 6 months later start it up w/out any issues or need to charge. for me its a waste of money for a battery tender so a a regular charger is a better tool for me to have but not for everyone. if your battery is up to snuff the way it suppose to be and use it once in a while for more then a quick 5 minute start up then it shouldnt need a charge. the one time it would be good is when someone uses their say winch alot w/out running the bike for any lenght of time alowing the battery to recharge which takes awhile form what ive ben told w/ the limited charging systems they have. this is only what works for myself and not everyone.</end quote></div>

Well, that still does nothing to address sulfation, which is what ultimately kills a lead acid battery, and accelerates when the voltage drops. Since they naturally discharge, you are exacerbating the problem letting them sit for 5 or 6 months unattended.

ATV batteries are relatively cheap, so maybe it is not that big a deal for you. I've personally have too many other batteries between the boat, RV, tractor, and other cars to maintain, and it is worth it to me to not have to constantly replace them. Especially the deep cycle RV's that tend to cost a fair amount more.