Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

POLARIS CLUTCHINg

Old 03-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLARIS CLUTCHINg

ok i got 99 polaris scrambler 500 4x4. original spring is the blue/green and i ordered spring for it
book says stock is 0 ungagement or something like that and one i ordered is 17...
its got stock wieghts in it which are 46 gram would i be better off getting 49 gram or something??????
also do you guys think i should change secondary spring?????

this is the problem
when we first got it it used to be fast do wheelies and stuff but know i jump on the back and floor it it barely if at all bring front end up... whats the problem?????VERY STRONG MOTOR so its not weak........secondary spring weak or broke or something????? the primary still has blue green one and i can pushed it all the eway in by hand farely easily.. is that a problem??????

while riding it you floor it motor revs up just dont go the best soon as you hit 1/2 throttle it wont go any faster unless you go gradually....
the belt in it is junk also it has been eating belts but thats cause of water and it slipping.......
also belt cover.. My dads girlfriend rode and thought it would be funny to step on belt cover and now i cant get it to stop grinding its good for awhile then it starts again.... i need new cover cause the clutch wore a hole through on the bottom side....
please help anyway you can thanks in advance

Old 03-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the buttons in the secondary clutch are shot , jumping them and hitting the ground with the back wheels spinning will tear the buttons up. Take the secondary clutch off, thats the rear one, turn it upside down and you'll see a snap ring , take that off carefully cause its under spring pressure, pay attention to what holes the sping is in, also the tabs on the spring should line up with each other, After you get the helix and the spring out there are three buttons with a torx screw through them, replace these, smooth up the ramps on the helix with emery paper, get some scotch bright pads and clean up the sheaves. When you put it back together you have to twist the heliix 1/3 of a turn to regain the spring pressure then put it on the splines and put the snap ring back.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Trailblazer

so it being doggy like that sounds like secondary problems?????it seems to rev but just dont go...

Old 03-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just pull off the secondary and pull it apart and take a look. there only a few dollars a piece so just replace them when you have it apart.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer

ill probably just take secondary clutch to my local hardware place that does alot with clutchs...sounds easier i dont wanna SCREW it up lol..
do you think i should put differnt size spring in there seeins how im do the primary one

Old 03-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

the front clutch(primary) spring is normal by not having mych tention if its stock. if you want to freshen it up most likey the weights are worn out as well as both springs are weaker from age. if you were happy w/ the way it went stock then i would completely rebuild it if it needs it. i wouldnt pay some one to do it when you could do it your self w/ basic tools. you wont even need to pull the entire primary off, just take the cover off to replace spring and weights and clean it up. make sure you buy a good polaris belt as i think you'll have better luck w/ it.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

ya im putting in new spring im doing primary myself the secondary i might take off and take in....
for belt i Bought a gates

Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

If you take of the secondary clutch and shake it you will hear if the bottons have come off.
I just had mine done. There were 3 in there and they were 3 dollars and change each. I had the dealer do it. he charged me $37.00 =labor 1/2 hour

Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

take gates back and buy a polaris belt. if you have a set of snap ring pliers you can do the secondary your self if you do it the way kerrbids told you. imo.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just did mine! I followed Kerbbirds instructions, it was smooth as silk. You'll need a buddy to install the snap ring while you hold down the helix. You can do it. Cost me $10 for the new buttons. I was a little dissapointed that the replacements were plastic though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: POLARIS CLUTCHINg