Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Plowing hard on transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plowing hard on transmission?

How hard on the transmission do you think it is to plow with an ATV? I only plow my 200' drive and about a 60' x 60' square around the garage. Sometimes I'll hit a firm pile of snow and the machine kind of sticks to the curl of plowed snow and it's kind of hard to shift into reverse. I let the snow fall away a bit before I lift the plow to reduce weight on the winch, but it's the firmness I'm feeling when shifting over and over in a big storm. Try not to hit the frozen snow too hard.

I haven't heard many people talk about smoked transmissions when plowing snow and I know a lot of people plow with the ATV in the northern tier. It just doesn't feel very smooth......Thoughts?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plow almost an acre at my place and have yet to have any issues. Just need to keep it in low and not get too rammy. You'll trash u-joints long before a transmission.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

definitely low range ,you'll have enough power to plow in high, but you need it in low range to get the rpm's up to get the fins on the clutch spinning fast enough to keep the belt and everything else cool.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 4getful2
definitely low range ,you'll have enough power to plow in high, but you need it in low range to get the rpm's up to get the fins on the clutch spinning fast enough to keep the belt and everything else cool.
Yeah, I definitely use low range.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Might knot hurt to change the transmission oil if your working it that hard.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I would think proper traction that would come with a good snow tire would alleviate some wear and tear on the tranny too? Is it recommended to lower the PSI,or is that more to push?

Thx,

R'

Old 01-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Range Rover

Could just be the shifter mechanism itself and happening at this time/season. I got to the point with my last machine (700EFI) where I would rock the machine while shifting because it was so hard. Finally took it in (thinking tranny) and the mechanic replaced/adjusted a few things and added some lube and she shifted like a dream. Hope this helps...Jeff

Old 01-20-2010, 04:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are it's the seal on the shifter housing. Factory puts a lame bead of silicone and it is prone to leaking which binds up shifting when it's cold out. I pulled mine apart and also found it was missing an o-ring seal on one of the two shafts. Replaced that and sealed it up with anaerobic schmoo(expensive but awesome stuff). After that it shifts smooth as silk even when it was double digits below zero.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think being in low range and having a load on the tranny when you stop is the reason of the hard shifting. i don't think it's as hard on the tranny as you might think, but as mentioned don't be hitting the bank extremly hard to where it stops you while still throttleing forward. if anything i would think having the tracks you guys are using would be hard as it would be less chance to spin (loose traction) causing increased drive line pressure. just a guess though. imo

Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by stendori
i think being in low range and having a load on the tranny when you stop is the reason of the hard shifting. i don't think it's as hard on the tranny as you might think, but as mentioned don't be hitting the bank extremly hard to where it stops you while still throttleing forward. if anything i would think having the tracks you guys are using would be hard as it would be less chance to spin (loose traction) causing increased drive line pressure. just a guess though. imo
Yep, I agree on the track pressure causing the linkage to be stiff. Try not to hit a bank too hard, but it's temping to push the tops off the piles with a good push.

Quick Reply: Plowing hard on transmission?