Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

throttle position sensor

Old 11-21-2007, 02:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle position sensor

I have a 2006/7 ranger 6x6efi 700 that has 47 hrs on it. I ordered it in august of 06 and it was the only 6x6 2006 delivered here in 06 (10/06). I used it some for hunting in 06/07 and the parked it until august of this year. when I went to check it out for this season, I found the battery was DEAD and wouldn`t take a charge. So because I had had the machine more than 6 months I had to buy a new battery. Put in the new battery, and hooked up a trickle charger so it would stay fully charged. 2 weeks before opening day of our gun season I took the machine down country to do some scouting. Everythings going fine and then it starts spitting and popping and backfiring. Engine dies and although it would turn over it wouldn`t start. Engine felt considerably warmer than normal so I let it set for about 30 minutes and tried it again. Starts and runs OK. Spend the rest of that day and part of the next with no further problems. It, at that point, now has 56 hrs on the meter. Put the machine on the trailer and head home. Machine sits on the trailer until we return to hunting camp 10 days later. Start it up. runs fine. load up some gear and head out to scout. Go about a mile and suddenly it starts doing again what it had done before. Jerking, spitting, popping. Acted llike it might have water in the fuel. Return to camp. Drain the fuel tank, put in fresh fuel, purge the fuel lines, pull the spark plugs; they look like they might have fouled from too much fuel, so I put in new plugs. replace the external fuel filter. Machine starts and runs great. Problem resolved. We head out, go about a mile and it starts screwing up again, but this time it dies and won`t start until it cools off. Go back to camp, slowly. Run the diagnostics and the indications are that the throttle position switch is either faulty or out of sync with the ECU. TPS hasn`t been moved, so only conclusion is a faulty throttle position switch. We try to work around the problem by only going short distances before the macine heats up because once it heats up it quits. Won`t run until it cools off. This machine now has 62 hrs on the meter. Try calling a couple of dealers to see if a TPS is available and how much. One says yes the other says no. One says $131 plus tax, the other says$150 plus tax. Both indicate that the TPS is a high maintenance item. Meaning they don`t last long. I checked and found out that that particular item(TPS), is used on several different Polaris machines.
I write Polaris a letter advising them that I believed that given the hrs on the machine that they should provide me with a replacement TPS. Their response was "your machine is more than 6 months since purchase date. Contact a dealer for replacement parts or service. "
Now I gotta say that I`m not a happy camper at this point. I paid a premium to get this machine and for what I paid I expected to get, at least, several hundred, if not thousands of hours of service before experiencing failures like this.
I advised Polaris that I would make it a major effort of mine to contact all those Federal agencies that regulate transportation and sales of their products, as well as my states Atty Gen. Off of Consumer Affairs in an effort to bring to light the attitude Polaris Industries has shown concerning this incident. As well as painting lemons all over the machine and parking it along a major interstate highway to alert potential buyers that the Ranger is not without its' problems.
I have since had a opportunity to talk with several Ranger owners, as well as one Raz`r owner who have indicated that I am not the only one who has been saddled with a lemon made by Polaris Industries. At this point, I`m wondering if there aren`t numerous more Ranger/Razr owners who have been having unacceptable problems that have gotten the single digit salute from Polaris Industries.
Anyone else out there who is highly dissatisfied?
Arkieshooter

Old 11-21-2007, 06:58 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so did you get it fixed or what? is that what is wrong w/ it. i was thinking the fuel pump could be going bad as in some cases as you described it acted the same way.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer

The diagnostics indicate a TPS, not the fuel pump. The fuel delivery system is fine, so far. I`m just really hacked off that I should be having problems with this machine so soon. Polaris Industries has shown a total lack of interest in hepling me resolve my concerns.At this point I`m left with no alternative but to start making a lot of noise in the right places, to warn other prospective buyers about how and what Polaris Industries thinks about us consumers.
Would I buy another Ranger? Given my experiences with other atv and manufacturers of off road vehicles, my answer is NO! Am I going to keep this machine? NO!. I paid $13K for this machine, when I could just as well of bought 2, maybe 3, brand new four wheelers. I am not happy about having to deal with problems with a piece of equipment, but what really chaps my cheeks is when the manufacturer makes no attempt to assist me when I do have problems. It`s these kinds of manufacturers that need to go the way of the hugo. It`s unfortunate that Polaris Industries has taken this posture as one of the big factors behind my buying this machine is the fact that it is made in america using non metric parts, nuts and bolts, and the construction by the people building them seems to be on a par, if not better than any product built elsewhere.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

The way that I look at it, they are recreational vehicles. Ever own a snowmobile?? Fix all week to ride on weekends [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I feel your pain, but hopefully you were aware of the 6 month warranty before you bought. And try to get warranty on your vehicle for a sensor after you run out. You'll get the same responce probably. Just your vehicle warranty lasts longer. Hopefully the expiriance doesn't leave a bitter taste in your mouth for Polaris. But if you go to another brand and then another brand you'll probably find close to the same for all dealers/manufactureers

Old 11-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

What? do you work for Polaris? Evidently you didn`t take the time to read my posts. I suppose you`d be ready to eat the expense for parts if you bought a new machine and it sat unused until after the warranty ran out. I can understand the assumption that most people are gonna try to break it before the warranty runs out, but not all of us are like that. Suppose you tell me how many hours you find acceptable , if any, if you had a machine start to nickle and dime you.
I contacted Polaris Industries and they aren`t even interested in having a conversation about whether 47 hours is acceptable before things start failing. I sincerely hope you don`t have this happen to you, outside of your warranty.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dude, chill man. scrammy was telling you how it is w/ pretty much all the brand machines. hes not telling you are wrong for feeling the way you do. i my self have had an issue w/ the polaris customer service and didnt really get any where as well on a 8600. bike so i know what your talking about. it comes down to if you have a good dealer who is good to you and will work w/ you to get the repair work done and go to bat for you w/ polaris. i have found some ones really suck and others to be real good. i know they have had fuel pump issues before is the only reason i brought it up to you. my advise(friendly at that) is to fix it and then go dump it. sorry things went bad for you. p.s i dont work for polaris either although a couple people onhere do.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry. No insult intended. I paid a premium to get the machine. My selling dealer, a new business, goes belly up before I even get my MSO. I have to play phone tag with Polaris to get the paperwork. Polaris doesn`t /didn`t want to talk about warranty service even during the warranty period, which the selling dealer told me was 1 year. dealer lies, Polaris is free and clear. Even after the selling dealer went belly up, and I`m standing in front of the building calling them on the phone, they tried to denigh that the dealer was gone. When they finally admitted that the dealer was gone and I asked about warranty work their response was "Go find a Dealer on the internet".
Maybe there have been problems in the past with fuel system components. And maybe there are still problems with component parts, and maybe that won`t ever change if we as consumers continue to accept the way Polaris Industries hold us in contempt. This company has been around long enough that when they offer a product for purchase they should have worked out any problems. The reason why they have a six month warranty period is because they are greedy and don`t want to pay for faulty parts that they are using un the construction of these machines. Otherwise they would be willing to provide a warranty period comparable with that of other manufacturers. Anyone who thinks Polaris Industries isn`t trying to fleece us, must believe in the Wizard at the end of the yellow brick road. Anyone who is willing to buy their line about the warranty period needs a wakeup call.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Two ...Yes Two E.C.M. go bad and both were out of Warranty. My dealer took the time and contacted Polaris with my VIN #'s and even though I paid for the second one .......The dealer called me back and said Yes., bring the old ECM back in to us to get your $154.00 back............Thank You very Much Polaris(or should I say Dealer)........So how do you think I feel I have Two same Sportsman's 2006 450's my blue with two ECM's replaced and my wife's still on the factory one!!!.........BTW the Polaris ECM is made in China................The replacement I got was still Sure Power Ind. but with a Made in U.S.A. sticker on them!!!!!!!!!!..............It's all in the Dealer......NO QUESTIONS ABOUT IT!!!!!.......Thanks ...Caper.......

Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

In my location we now have a dealer that has picked up the polaris line. He also has long handled Kawasaki. I trust these people and they have been here for quite a while. I talked to the peole in the service dept. late this evening and they ask me to bring it in to see /confirm that what the onboard diagnostics were correct. They also told me that their experience with Polaris Industries parallels mine, but they would at least try. I agreed to leave the machine with them so they could check it, but made it very clear that if polaris wouldn`t budge that I would nly spend enough on it to turn it into something else.
Don`t get me wrong about this machine. I have been able to go places with it that I couldn`t on a convention ATV. It can pull loads that an ATV can`t and can carry loads an ATV can`t, but if I have to I will go back to an ATV pulling a little trailer so I can carry my tools or gear. At this point, I just have no confidence in either the machine or Polaris Industries.
The debate will only get more intense about two or more ppl on an ATV, whereas nothing is ever said about two, three, or even four ppl on a ranger or a mule. I`d go to a kabota 4x4 mini tractor before I`d continue to put up with this.
My hunting partner made the observation that this incident could just be the tip of the iceberg, so to speak, and the people in service said even replacing the ECU and the TPS didn`t provide any guarantees that the same wouldn`t happen again tomorrow. I had one guy in a parts dept at a factory dealership tell me that he kept a good supply of TPS`s because they go south so often. Does anyone here remember the EDSEL!!!!

Old 11-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John Deer and Club Cadet both make utility 4X4 also!!!......Caper.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: throttle position sensor