Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris AWD Hill Decent System

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris AWD Hill Decent System

Got to be up front here - I don't own a Polaris although I've got significant seat time on a 500 Sportsman and 800 EFI. I'm not looking to be ragged on I just want to increase my knowledge. I have a question about how the Hill Decent feature works on the new machines? I mean, what is it designed to do and how is this accomplished? Is there a switch on the bars or anther position on shift lever, etc? How do the sensors and mechanical parts interact to do this? Thanks.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but it's a hydraulic system in the front diff. It engages the front diff for engine braking when the throttle is closed, under 15mph, in 4x4, and in a gear (Forward low and high, and reverse) There are no other extra switches for the system, it does all the work for you. The older systems would only engage the rear wheels possibly leading to the rear wheels locking or sliding on slippery surfaces, while the new systems will engage a 4 wheels when the above conditions are met. I have had my bike on a gravel pit wall, with 2 feet of snow in 4x4 low range and let off of the throttle and it slowed me down in a very controlled manner. The same conditions in 2x4 low caused the rear tires to slide a little bit. I can see how this may cause some uneasiness to some people, but the ADC works great. Hope this helps and if anyone has anything to add, feel free, or any questions. Hopefully I can answer them.

Todd

Old 03-13-2007, 02:05 AM
Range Rover

Does it work well enough to justify trading in an older model that does not have this new feature. I have a 2005 and let me tell you, there have been a few times my seat has had one heck of a pucker when coming down a nasty hill. I have had Polaris models for 15 years, and know how to ride them. I just wonder if the new system would be worth it.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:17 AM
Range Rover

Sammy, Not saying it doesn't work as you suggest because I don't know, but if it does works as you say, then would it not also work going UP hills as well? And if that's true, why are they calling it a Hill Decent System?

Old 03-13-2007, 07:18 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not to sound stupid, but using the brakes on any machine would be the best controll. most bikes dont even have this kind of system and they all seem to get along fine. personally i like my ebs more on straight aways just to save on the brake pads more then i do for hill desending. no matter what you have for engine brakage, once you loose wheel tractionyour done for a skidding ride. lol.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

No it only works when you are OFF the throttle. So going up hills on the throttle it's just called 4x4. As far as trading up to get ADC, I don't know if it would be worth it as Sten said, A lot of bikes don't have it and they work fine.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Range Rover

Sammy, Good point about the throttle. It sounds as though the Hill Decent is an electrical override to the existing AWD system so when certain conditions are met (off-throttle, AWD, etc), the front and rear axles are engaged like most other mfgr's manually linked 4x4 systems. Would that be a fair assessment? How much extra is this system over a non-equipped machine?

Old 03-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Exactly how it works. But it's hydraulic and electric. The old style has a "Sprag" clutch in the hubs that is a one-way clutch allowing it to freewheel if the fronts spin faster then the rears that would not allow 4x4 when the EBS is active. The new ADC locks the front to the rear when the conditions are met

Old 03-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i read on atv quadsquad (under a sticky "featured topics") about how to engage your awd by spinning the rear tires in reverse with the overide button depressed, this activates the awd. i gave it a try at the top of a hill and then shifted into low and i creaped down the hill with my ebs controlling both front and rear tires.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: cableguy657
i read on atv quadsquad (under a sticky "featured topics") about how to engage your awd by spinning the rear tires in reverse with the overide button depressed, this activates the awd. i gave it a try at the top of a hill and then shifted into low and i creaped down the hill with my ebs controlling both front and rear tires.
That seems a lil ridiculous for something that should just happen. when in 4x4 mode all 4 should be working under throttle or under engine braking no matter what. thats how every other machine works but polaris (well and honda's 3x4's). polaris would be ahead of the game if they would just have 4x4, AWD and 2x4. just have it a manual switch. it really can't be so difficult. why are some manufacturers so resistant to the wants/needs of their riders on the simple things. yet they think people want some new color of sompin. MAKE THE GOT DAM THINGS WORK then worry about makin em pretty.

Quick Reply: Polaris AWD Hill Decent System