Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Polaris
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register ATV Photos FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendors
Search
Welcome to ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Reply Share this with your friends
Old 03-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default How to tighten chain?

98 Polaris Scrambler 400 4X4.... This one only has a rear drive chain. My "all inclusive" manual says to put a punch through the sprocket into the eccentric and roll fwd or back to tighten or loosen. Well, I can only move it maybe..a 1/4 inch. It doesn't seem right. I can't get it to tighten at all. I know the chain and sprocket are worn and need replacing but I just need to tighten it so IF I get it running I can move it to check out the running gear. It also seems that the sprocket is slightly loose but I guess it might be slotted? Any help here would be appreciated...

Another question I have is brakes..I think my rear slave cylinder is bad. When I pull the brake lever on the bars it's real spongy. When I push the foot brake, nothing. When I pull the front brake and then push the rear I get tention (braking) on the rear. When I let go of the front brake I have no rear brake. It goes to the floor. I have completely bleed the brakes three times no thinking I had air in the system but it appears that I do not. If the rear is bad does someone make a rebuild kit for it? The cheapest i found one for is around $100 new. Thanks for the help guys
Old 03-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to tbsleeper

you need to loosen the 2 bolts on the bearing carrier, 2 bolts on the brake caliper holder thing then put hte pin in and roll it back or forward.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Jr Administrator
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
2011 Just a cooler and a humidor

Since it a 98, you may have to grab a big pipe wrench and put it on the carrier and help move it. Sometimes even the newer ones can be that way too.

Never hit a man with glasses. Hit him with a baseball bat.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

Yes, use a pipe wrench. If its hard, try spraying a little bit of pb where the carrier meets the axle. (It worked for me)

Good luck
Old 03-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to trailblazermudrunner

try what these guys said i would have replyed quicker but i had to leave
Old 03-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Yeah, I am going to have to get a big pipe wrench. I was using the method that was in the book (using punch) and broke the friggin hole in the eccentric?Just my luck. On a separate note, it LIVES!!!. I rode it tonight for the first time. Overall not too bad. Seems pretty quick. The top half still has to be broken in and all I was told is run two tanks of fuel through it before I run it at WOT. I dunno...Sometimes it's hard to take it slow

I do have another question. The idle is slightly rough, I am guessing its just the nature of a 2 stroke but whenever I put it in gear it will grind. It might be because I was above idle but not sure. It was 18 degrees and past ten o'clock (didn't want to **** the neighbors off too bad) What can I check for this issue?

Anyone have a reasonable place to buy a chain and sprocket set for a good price?

How about any info on rebuilding the rear slave/brake cylinder? I have "some" front braking but I doesn't work to well in the snow. I really am trying to avoid getting a new one. Thanks again for the replys. Tommorrow I will have to get a big pipe wrench to tighten the chain.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to tbsleeper

the brakes can be bled just liek a cars...did you loosen all the bolts i said? you need to it should turn fairly easy and i would think about investing into a chain tensor
Old 03-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

maybe I didn't loosen all the bolts as you said. I loosened the two bolts that the center carrier is in and used the punch. What else was I supposed to loosen? The manual was very NON specific.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Garage is empty, add now

on my 99' there were 2 bolts that holds the brake caliper that you have to loosen as well as the 2 bolts and nuts.
10' massey ferguson tractor
Old 03-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to trailblazermudrunner

Quote:
Originally posted by: Katy
maybe I didn't loosen all the bolts as you said. I loosened the two bolts that the center carrier is in and used the punch. What else was I supposed to loosen? The manual was very NON specific.
u also have to loosen the bolts on the side of the brake calaper
Old 03-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Reply Share this with your friends

Tags
05, 2007, 400, 500s, 98, atv, chain, front, manual, polaris, rear, scrambler, tighten, tightening