Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

KTM 525 into Predator Chassis project potentially...ENGINE GUYS, NEED HELP FAST!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KTM 525 into Predator Chassis project potentially...ENGINE GUYS, NEED HELP FAST!

hey guys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

well everyone knows how bad i wanted the 525 pred, and since Polaris is gonna be a bunch of tools about it, (coupled with the fact that i found a good deal on a 525 motor w/ a wide-ratio 6) i'm considerring building one. Now i know a good bit about engines, and thanks to my Predators explosive tendencies, i know quite a bit about these new 4-strokes, but not a lot about carbs to be honest. The engine does not come w/ one and i was wonderring how bad it would be to put the 42mm from the pred on it. I know people put way bigger on the pred's 500 motor, so it doesn't seem that putting a 42mm on the 525 would be bad...i know the 525's sprocket is on the left, so no worries there... but i don't know how easy the swap would be. I've heard that they're almost a direct bolt, does anyone know if this is true? the engine uses a tiny bit of oil which i'm assuming is valve guides or maybe rings (it is after all an '02 and with these new 4-strokes, that's a long time...) guy who's selling it says he's had the valves adjusted anually by a KTM dealer tho, so that's good... anyway, any information on these motors would be great! OTHER info would be nice too, pretty much anything you know about the engine or anyone who's done this... Can i use the Pred's radiator? how about engine mounts? will excessive fabbing need to be done? Thanks for any information anyone had about this idea...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default KTM 525 into Predator Chassis project potentially...ENGINE GUYS, NEED HELP FAST!

Walt!! You need to check out Michigandirtslingers.com

There is a guy named Mitch (screen name MMD) that just fabed his 03 chassis for a KTM Motor..although I believe he used a 450..could be wrong though...it's in the picture section...and also (being to lazy to look it up myself) I believe he had Rath fab some motor mounts.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Get a hold of Rath Racing they have the part you want to do it Rath has been running the KTM motor is his quad using the Predtor chassie. Thay can answer all your ? He was raing his.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION!!! I will be calling Rath tomorow to get some information together an i'll post back here... I would really like to see this idea to come to light, but i can't spend thousands on a KTM motor... Hopefully i won't have to...

also i frequent Cannondaler.com as i'm a big fan of Cannondale/ATK machines and i see that someone there is doing a KTM motor in a 'dale frame and posting pictures on a daily basis. With me, it would be more like a weekly thing now that schools back... but i'd still like to document it for you guys (that is IF it ever comes to light, which is a big, price-contingent IF...) Thanks again!!!

Old 03-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum. I'm a KTM guy. I spend alot of time at the KTMtalk forums.

Let me know if I'm out of line doing this: My last 2 KTM 525's that I've sold went to predator owners and another one went to a guy for his road racer Aprilla. I'm thinking of parting out my current machine and I'm wondering if it is worth my time to put an add up on this and other Quad forums?

I would be lying if I said it was a stock 525. It's was a 525sx, but it has been converted to 6 spead. It's been bored to a 540, Wise-co high comp piston, valve work, and a race cam. It holeshots any bike off the line. Period. End of story.

Is it something the average Predator rider would want? Or even worth the time listing it in the classifieds?

Thanks,
Dan
shackkat@yahoo.com