Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The Polaris AWD Hub/Diff Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Polaris AWD Hub/Diff Thread

(Admin please pin this to keep down the recent amount of AWD topics)

I am here to explain how the AWD in a Polaris works. I ave worked on them for years and know exactly how they work, and the symptoms on how you can tell when they are going bad. I will also teach you how to avoid having costly repairs on them. Any questions or concerns about your Polaris AWD system, post them here, we will be happy to fix your machine.

Polaris uses a combination of electro-manetic power, and mechanical systems to give you 4x4. I for one am happy with my Polaris AWD. This is how it works:
For some of you out there, your AWD will not work unless the button is on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Your back wheels must spin a 1/5 before your AWD even kicks in. Once your back wheels spin a 1/5 out of sync with the front, the axle inside your hub/differential still tries to spin, and a cage holding a set of "rollers" expands everytime the axle rubs against it correctly. (If you have a older Polaris, try taking apart your hub and try it yourself up on jack stands) (older models--&gt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]The cage is held their by a electromagnetic coil that is located inside your strut tower. When you press that AWD button, that electromagnetic coil holds the armature tight against the inner part of the strut tower. The armature plate has 3 little ears on it that slip inside the cage, which it already has grooves cut inside of it that allow this to mesh together. It will create enough drag to allow the cage to stay still while the axle pushes these rollers out and allows it to catch on the inner part of the hub.

Once they are back in sync, the axle no longer has to mesh with the cage any longer because the front wheel is already spinning. The only downside to having this AWD setup is that its not reliable ( i will explain this later on) and it will take a few minutes for the front wheels to catch up with the back when your pulling a long stretch hill.

Hey, I love the Polaris AWD, but you know what, Its not always reliable. I have had some many stories told to me about their Polaris AWD systems. Those cages can only take so much rubbing back and forth. Some guys wheel would kick out right in the middle of a large mud puddle and just randomly stop working. Or, it will continuosly stay engaged! (Which makes it extremely hard to steer correctly) Sometimes you can free this up by putting your quad in reverse, moving a few feet and pressing the override button a few times then going forward again. But buddy, you will know when this is locked in for good.

I personally prefer the Kawasaki design.. It has a limited slip differential, which you can have easy steering in 4x4, but if you need all 4 wheels locked in you pull a yellow handle and your locked in solid.

Now, to avoid these Polaris AWD problems there are very simple things you can do!

1. Change your hub oil between every 3-7 months depending on how hard you ride your Polaris.
2. When your not using 4x4, dont have the button on! (Simple and effective. Think about it)
3. Always keep Fresh Hub Oil (Green Labeled Bottle) inside your hubs when you go on long rides.

These are just some of the methods of keeping your 4x4 system working for a long time.

Just remember, Any questions on your AWD, please post them all here so the forums stay clear of all the recent posts.

Thanks! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

LOL!!!!

Old 02-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Are you familiar with the newer polaris ATVs that engage the AWD in the diff, because it sounds like your just familiar with the older ones which engage in the hubs? I know the cage in my 02 was plastic, I rebuilt it myself.

I realize its a similar/same system between the diff and hub models, but there seem to be different issues.

And yes the new ones will engage AWD with the switch in the off position, the new polaris' have a switch not a button. I know its now suppose to engage, but it will in the right circumstances.

Thanks for the information, trailbound

Old 02-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah I am somewhat familiar with the newer ones.. But they were once plastic? I dont believe Polaris would actually make a plastic cage. :\

But yes, i have worked on mostly older models, and I consider myself a pro with the older models.. I just hope this will help some of the less educated Polaris riders out.

Thanks guys

Old 02-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why do we need to keep all the post to you? coming from a kaw. guy that seems odd to me. as far as the kaw. 4x4 my friends have a a couple and ive seen a problem w/ them as well. not to mention trying to hold the locking lever while you trying to get out of a big hole. my buddys bf 750 05 had some front end issues w/ it poping out just like a polaris does. he now instlled a locking pin in the handle to keep his front locked in on the 07' he has. you must be a certified polaris mechanic for the older modles right. thanks for ther info.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes the cage is plastic. I have replaced alot of them. Polaris used to make them aluminum but when the aluminum breaks it tore up the whole diff ring, pinion and bearings and would even cause accidents. Now that they are plastic when the plastic breaks it will just get churned up and not hurt the ring and pinion. This makes for a cheaper $300 repair instead of a $1000 repair.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally posted by: 2manytoys
Yes the cage is plastic. I have replaced alot of them. Polaris used to make them aluminum but when the aluminum breaks it tore up the whole diff ring, pinion and bearings and would even cause accidents. Now that they are plastic when the plastic breaks it will just get churned up and not hurt the ring and pinion. This makes for a cheaper $300 repair instead of a $1000 repair.
2many, did you see my post of the other diff. about 2 diff. part numbers for 05' and 06'? just wondering what you made of it.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

Hey i am a kaw guy but i also have polaris's.
Im just trying to help stendori.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally posted by: Kawiking489
Hey i am a kaw guy but i also have polaris's.
Im just trying to help stendori.
help me???????????? im far from being any thing special

Old 02-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: stendori
why do we need to keep all the post to you? coming from a kaw. guy that seems odd to me. as far as the kaw. 4x4 my friends have a a couple and ive seen a problem w/ them as well. not to mention trying to hold the locking lever while you trying to get out of a big hole. my buddys bf 750 05 had some front end issues w/ it poping out just like a polaris does. he now instlled a locking pin in the handle to keep his front locked in on the 07' he has. you must be a certified polaris mechanic for the older modles right. thanks for ther info.

It seemed a little mean for a guy who wrote that whole article on AWD systems to help everyone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Polaris AWD Hub/Diff Thread