Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The Polaris AWD Hub/Diff Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris awd

First time on here , I have a 2001 400 sportsman, Im having trouble with the awd , Im wondering how to check if the magnet is working, if I turn the switch to awd with the bike running will I be able to pull on the armature with my fingers to see if there is resistance, or will the wheels have to be turning to activate the magnet, it is up on stands.
I have one volt going through the red wire, how important is the 025 clearence.
Thank you for any information Kozmo

Old 01-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

i have the same question as above this is on a 99 sportsman 500 how can i check my magnet????

Old 01-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello,

i think you must have 25 Ohm between the two wires of the hub.

And you must have min. 12 Volt coming from the Speedo if your gearshift is on "L".

Greetings from Germany

Thomas

Old 02-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Unhappy Display and AWD problems

Okay, let's see if ya'll can help me out, cause no one seems to be able to. I have a 2005 polaris sportsman 700 twin EFI. We bought it over the summer at an auction.It's display has never worked right since we bought it. It only displays "E off" on it, nothing else...ever. It has a little over 100 miles on it and seems like the previous owners hardly ever drove it.It's AWD only works if the switch is "On" AND if I hold down the overdrive button. It won't engage otherwise. We've checked all the wires and they are all fine. We currently have it jacked up and have slowly been trying to figure out this new problem. Considering it came with a plow, we have been using it a lot this winter to clean our driveway and that's how we found out about the AWD not working.My thought is, if our display doesn't work right, could it cause the AWD to need the overdrive button pushed to engage?I live about an hour from any shops that work on ATVs and my little car can't tow the ATV, much less trying to tow it in snow... I truely have no idea what it could be, if ya'll could shoot me some ideas, I would really love the help.

Edit* Okay, well now we are having trouble figuring out the year on it. Everywhere on it, frame, engine, plastics, etc, it says 12/02/03, but it has a ECU and EFI, which I can't seem to find in our manual for it and the wire diagram is exactly like the 2005 polaris sportsman 700 EFI, and nothing like the wire diagram for the 2004 700...

Old 02-16-2010, 08:18 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Read this ATV Time :: View topic - Polaris Demand Drive Hub Q&A Picture Guide to Service

After awhile the armature plate will gain slight magnetism from being around a magnet so much, this will cause your 4X4 to be very erratic. You really can't do harm to put new armature plates in when you service these hubs. Although if you would like to try and use what you have hold your armature plate to a piece of steel and see if you can feel any magnetism at all, it will be minor, if you can you either need new ones or you can try a suitable de-magnetiser.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is there any way to test the cam and rollers inside the hub? I mean, can i test to see if the all wheel drive works in the shop. I read somewhere that something had to be set or adjusted when you put the hub together. Any comments? Thanks

Old 03-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok so im a brand new to this site but i got a seriouse problem... my 99 polaris scramblers 4x4 doesnt work the shafts are driving but the wheels are not turning... i have read abit about them and i think it might be a power problem...

i think the same day that my starter switch wouldnt work, i had to start hand pulling to start was the same day the 4x4 stopped working... when i go to start the quad it does nothing but if i hook it up to my truck it clicks... maybe a silinoid or starter problem??????? so i guess my question is.. should i get the ignition problem solved before i bother with the wheels not turning being that its an electric drive setup?? also when im driving in 2 wheel drive the whels will engage and disengage eraticly, and when i put it in 4x4 mode it slams into 4x4 (load bad sounding crunch) and then cuts out... blown cv???? its an old quad and the guy that owned it before me didnt have a clue..... i took the diffs apart and there was no oil at in it cleaned em up and still nothing havent drivin it since cleaning

i know this is alot but should i look at electrical first??

any feed back is much appreciated sorry for the spelling and thanks a again

Old 03-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default 07 Sportsman 500 EFI

AWD will disengage randomly, but when I come to a stop it will engage. Any answers to why this is happening? Oh when it disengages the little light in the Speedo goes off that is how I have been noticing this other then the fact that I almost buried it ice fishing until I let of the throttle and it engaged again. Very weird my dad is changing the front diff fluid and he has unhooked the battery to see if it would resent itself to no success. Any help would be a huge help need to get this figured out. Thanks

Old 03-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for explaining how the front hubs work on a polaris. On the electrical side, does it just have a switched 12 volts activating it when you send power to the magnets or is it not that simple? Thanks, Duke (Lovemyhydro@netscape.net)

Old 03-12-2010, 06:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 1989 trialboss 4x4. I took the front hubs apart. I order the parts i thought i would need. I have another question. On the electrical side, does it just have a switched 12 volts activating it when you send power to the magnets or is it not that simple? Thanks, Duke (Lovemyhydro@netscape.net)[/quote]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Polaris AWD Hub/Diff Thread