Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hauling ATV in truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hauling ATV in truck

Ya know, there is some good ideas here but one idea that I had was to put an I bolt up front in the middle of the bed. Then use the winch as a tiedown or safety. In the case of a breakdown, you could use this to winch your bike back on the truck. Oh and about the tailgate cables, hows about a peice of chain. When hauling the bike, take the cables off and use a chain on each side. Then again, just a peice of flatstock the same size as the cables would work. The tailgate wouldn't move or bounce. A solid bed extension. One more thing, if you got a plastic bedliner, watch the plywood trick. That sucker will slide right out !!!!!!

Old 01-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

my broke under the weight of my scrambler ...

Old 01-14-2007, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bigpappa
I usually haul Atv on trailer but recently purchased a set of ramps and Louisianna Gaurd Dog so on day trips I could just throw in truck and go. My question is , How well does a tailgate hold up with the weight of Sportsmans rear end sitting dead center? I have a Z71 with toolbox and can barely get atv in bed. I'm really concerned about the strength of tailgate cables?
I have just the answer your looking for... first off the silverado trucks have a recall on their cable straps from 99 to 2002... i found this out the hard way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] my straps broke and my tailgate smashed and dented on the bumper cracking all the plastic that runs along the top... right away i called chevy and chewed royal *** about almost getting killed by an 800 pound machine rolling on top of me... everything was taken care of at no cost to me, Thank you GM

Old 01-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Bigpappa
I usually haul Atv on trailer but recently purchased a set of ramps and Louisianna Gaurd Dog so on day trips I could just throw in truck and go. My question is , How well does a tailgate hold up with the weight of Sportsmans rear end sitting dead center? I have a Z71 with toolbox and can barely get atv in bed. I'm really concerned about the strength of tailgate cables?

I have used a LA guard dog in the same fashion you are for over two years...That is the beauty of the guard dog...
If the tailgate cables break the bike will not go anywhere as long as you have the hitch connected to the guard dog..It (GD) is also a great theft deterrent...I now carry a sport bike(Z400) that doesn't have a hitch and I am nervous without my guard dog...I use two ratchet(1400 lb.) tie downs attached to my bike frame and the hooks in the front of my truck bed...If you use the guard dog you are in great shape(even if you're tailgate cables break)...
Unfortunately, Z400's offer no way to install a hitch, my old yamaha warriors did....I tried taking the toolbox in and out a couple of times and that was a complete pain in the a$$...I also have the ability to (and have several times) to haul my small pop-up camping trailer behind my truck with bike in bed and tailgate down thanks to the GD's receiver hitch on the end(I recommend turning your hitch bar over if you have more than a 2" drop bar)...I am a huge of the GD..Enjoy your purchase and the peace of mind....

Old 01-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 96 z71 shortbox with a toolbox in it and i load my 02 sp 700 and haul it everywhere with the rear tires on the tailgate no problems so far!

Old 01-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

I have the same truck Z71 extended cab and my bike 500 HO SP sets on the gap between the tailgate and the bed, I do have a tool box on my truck also. I find the toolbox is good for keeping the bike away from the rear window of my truck . No problems yet with my tailgate

Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a toyota tundra, my yam 250 and my wolverine 450 4x4 both fit inside the bed with tailgate closed. I have only ever had one problem hauling an atv, my yam 250 front rack broke my back glass when it rolled forward one time while trying to get it in reverse to back it out.(500.00 repair). The chevys did have problems with the tailgate cables my friend had one that both cables broke on.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yea, you gotta watch that. I took two pieces of 6x6 and a 2x4 and made a spacer so that the quad can't hit the rear window. just make sure that the spacer is high enough so the front wheels don't jump over. This is a good thing in the event of a panic stop. Oh yea, one other thing, if you have a plastic bed liner, tack a peice of thin rubber(inner tube) to the bottoms of the 6x6's. It will keep them in place when the quad isn't in the truck.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does every one think of the ramp parts kits with 2x10 s, are they strong enough?
about 1000lbs bike and rider.
when i get the extra money i will buy a set of aluminum ramps. and the quard dog. i just happend
to have the wood ramps that i used to use with a sport quad.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, they will work but they get slippy with mud, snow, or just wet. Think of a 700# plus machine on top of you, OUCH !!!!!! Bite the bullet and get a good set of alum. ramps and be safe. Check this site out, atvramps.com, I got the expandable ones and they're rated @1500#. I pile a lot of stuff on my machine in hunting season even the deer when I get one.

Quick Reply: Hauling ATV in truck