Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

srambler 400 issues topend rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default srambler 400 issues topend rebuild

Um this is gettin to me...my '00 srammy 400 has just gotten a new topend rebuild. I spared no expence on quality parts and machine work. I have alot of time and experince turning a wrench on these things but this is gettin to me.....so here it is....the first attempt at starting and it fires up great, no problems.....untill I smell coolant in the exhaust. I checked to make sure raditor was good and it's fine......but I tried again and she fired up but I heard the sound that only comes from a head gasket leak and sure enough it's sprayin coolant from the head gasket area and it's even coming up trough the head studs. I have not seen coolant be forced through the head studs before..you? I mic'ed the head and jug surfaces and there true, thats what I hoped having them machined.....blah blah...but the head gasket seems like the cut outs for the coolant ports are small but there the same as oem....so any one got an idea......or better yet had this before? everything was torqued to what the book said so?????? any ideas would help!

Old 10-12-2006, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

You may not like this - but here is the way it is .

Problem 1 - After market gaskets frequently fail - I know OEM are twice as much but they seal .

Problem 2 - The gasket surfaces are not as true as they need to be . Beings that it only ran for a short few minutes I would think this is the primary problem .

Once the out of true trouble is corrected install an OEM gasket and have fun .

Rick

Old 10-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

Well the aftermarket gasket did'nt fail....but after closer examination I noticed that a few of the studs in the jug had corrosion on them. So I am going to pull them and check the surface to make sure it 's true.....everything else is good.......so hopefuly it's got to be this......thanx Rick for the input, this thing has just bugged me. Usualy things go good and ur riddin the next day, not this time.....Thanx again