Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris sportsman 500 Motor boggs bad when i give it gas

I tried the choke thing also. No help.

Old 10-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

i forgot that when i choke it the bike stalls.

Old 10-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Wow, usually when an engine bogs and then spits through the carb it is an indication of leaness.
Does this thing smell "fuelly" out the tail pipe? Could be too rich?
I just don't know?
When something like this happens to me I have to get back to basics. #1 is take a compression.
What does the plug look like?

Old 10-23-2005, 07:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sgajan,

Since yours is also backfiring it sounds like we have identical problems here. Don't worry too much as we will solve this problem, sometimes it just takes time. If you pull the air box off and run the machine you can look in the back of the carb to see if your diaphram is pulling the slide up as you give it gas. Check that out. move the jet needle clip all the way to the top and see if your problem gets any better like mine did. As far as the fuel screw it is on the very bottom of the carb, You can loosen up the carb and turn it in the carb boot and you will see it on the bottom. take this and gently turn it all the way in and come out 2 full turns and run the machine and come out another 1/2 turn and see if there is a difference. I am not sure of the correct setting for Polaris because I have yet to recieve my manual. Another theory is that the exaust lobe is worn so much that it is popping because the exaust valves are not opening correctly and there fore it is popping out the carb instead of the other side. How many miles on yours?

Old 10-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

This isnt my bike its for a friend i was riding with and im trying to help him fix. i have an 06 yamaha grizzly. I will check the miles on his though. It just seems so strange because it happened out of nowhere. it wasnt like it was a little at a time. I will check the diaphram to see if it is sliding. i didnt know you could see this in action. I will also check the air fuel mix. thanks. lets keep trying. It just seems so strange that this happens out of the blue. The plug on mine is black but not oily. And this is a new plug i got yesterday.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have never seen a good looking plug with my stock Hondas, They are always black and I have never rejetted because of this because I use them to go hunting and around the yard and never trail riding. They run alright for my use. I ride KTMS though and thats a different animal so plugs and jetting is very important for these. The plugs I pulled out of the Polaris are black also but like I said it is not mine so I am not too concerned with jetting a leaning this motor out. Let me know how the slide is and check to see how many turns the fuel screw was from the starting position. Tomorrow I am going to run the machine and pull the two switches one at a time off the transmission and see if one of these might be a problem, I did run it with both switches unplugged and it was worse. I will also pull the plug for the rev limiter and see if it helps.

Rungunner

Old 10-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer

Im still at a loss with this one. The bowl is on the bottom of this carb. I still dont see the idle mix screw. Im gettin brain freeze. Polaris shop says they dont know. Which i can belive . The dumb A_ses. We cant be the only isolated cases with this same problem.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

It would be in front of the bowl in towards the intake boot, You will not see the screw as it is in a hole about a 1/4 inch, This is not an idle screw it is a fuel screw. Have not worked on mine today yet.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

The air/fuel mixture screw probably has a brass plug over it that needs to be removed to adjust the mixture.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

ok i will have to take another look at it. My head hurts everytime i go to see it. lol Has anyone talked to a service person and gotten any usefull info about this situation?

Quick Reply: polaris sportsman 500 Motor boggs bad when i give it gas